Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

the yesyes observatory - the build

yesyes

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just don't buy any cheap paint off a guy called Del boy! I don't think that a glow in the dark obsy would be a lot of good!  :grin:

Nice progress by the way. Not too sure about the indoor pond though.  :laugh: I think it was a good idea to remove it, although a glass floor and some little fish's swimming around could be quite therapeutic! 

I used the same shed paint inside mine as outside (but a different colour) - but only one coat.  It is waterproof so any condensation should just sit on the surface and eventually evaporate.  I suspect water based emulsion (ie indoor paint) wouldn't last very long?

Just received this response from the Planning Enforcement Officer regarding the complaint:

I have had a confirmation that the case has been signed off. The matter will show against the property record, but no further enforcement action will be taken.

I guess that's good news...

Well, I was trying to be ready for ISON, but..... now I can take a little more time. ;)

Should be ready to mount the scope in about 2 or 3 weeks I think.

I hope to finish covering the walls and connect up all sockets this weekend, at least in the warm room.

Just received this response from the Planning Enforcement Officer regarding the complaint:

I guess that's good news...

If there is nothing to answer to, why will a record stand against the property? Doesn't make sense to me. That's like somebody making an allegation against you to the police, them investigating and finding no evidence or case to answer but telling you that you will still have a criminal record! Doesn't make sense.

Glad you can continue unhindered. I guess the neighbours who complained won't be getting an invite to the opening ceremony!  :grin:

A great result for you and proof that common sense does prevail.  I am not sure if the note will be a problem or not, perhaps only if you decide to sell and move house, in which case you might take the obs with you?

Robin

Hi Chris,

That is good news.

The record will just mean that they have performed the necessary checks and that it has been approved... they will also use the info to update their own domestic property layout drawings (all councils keep such drawings)... nothing you need to worry about.

The only other thing you should do is to inform your house insurance company about the new APPROVED building, and it's contents... just to be sure that they include it in the case of any claim being necessary in the future... hopefully you will never need to make such a claim, but... they WILL exclude it if they are not informed.

Onwards and SKYWARDS.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Hi Chris,

No Problem... I had a similar experience when I built my LARGE workshop... In my case it was not born of a complaint, but a direct approach by the council building suveyor... he was doing a survey for my neighbours planning pemission and noticed that his ground plans for the adjoining properties only showed a SMALL shed being on my property.

He asked me about it and, with my approval, came over and took measurements, which were all well within permitted development, and he left.

A few weeks later I got a letter stating that the new structure was of approved dimensions (which is based on property land size) and they sent me a copy of the updated council ground drawings for my own records.

You may well get such a document, which will be valuable if/when you ever decide to move house... and also for insurance purposes.

Best regards.

Interesting. I asked him whether I get something in writing and he said:

You would need to keep this email. We have a record against the property.

If you required a legally binding document you would require consent.

If I recall your a touch too tall (7cm) so technically its not compliant to regulations (hence a record kept) but noted that it was not pursued as they do have a bit of discretion (10cm).

If a situation arises again they have a record of a previous issue and might not be so agreeable.

It is nice to see that rules is rules but with a bit of common sense.

Hi Chris,

Hmm! sounds a bit up in the air to me... it certainly would not be acceptable under Scottish planning rules.

You would need to keep this email. We have a record against the property.

If you required a legally binding document you would require consent.

Is he trying to say that the email is not LEGAL... and from whom do you aquire CONSENT?

If I were you I would print off a copy of the email and go and see the planning department for some clarification... you need the APPROVAL to be LEGALLY BINDING.

The build is either APPROVED or NOT... it cannot be left in limbo.

Best regards.

I would just leave it be, my workshop was over size 25' by 16' with a apex roof about 12' at the pich, but figured it can not be viewed by any other propertys so i knocked down the old garage and built my workshop on the same spot, in the process of building i needed a hand to move a large hired cement mixer wonders of down the close and there's a guy 4 doors away in his garden, said hello ect, can you give me a hand, yes he says and off we go, he inquires what i'm building ect, turns out he is the parish planning office, to quote " your new building looks smaller than the old one, any problems refer them to me" a narrow escape i must say....

Archived