Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

the yesyes observatory - the build

yesyes

We'll be waiting with bated breath Chris.

Have to agree with Robin.  To wait until now to raise a complaint is just spiteful.  - Fingers crossed.  Personally, if you don't get a jobs worth then I don't think there would be anything to worry about, and it is in effect a non-permanent sectional building and not a self contained house !

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, done. It's most likely OK but he needs to discuss it with the building commissioner (if that's the right term, forgot the exact name he said) because it's 7cm too tall. He said up to 10cm is normally OK. And he needs to check if all buildings together are not covering more than 50% of the land.

That is a real shame that someone will sit there watching it take shape and leave it until now to complain.  I can never understand why people don't come round and knock on your door at an earlier stage, rather than going to the planning office.  Most problems could easily be ironed out with a quick conversation.  At the end of the day they have to live near you and if they loose at the planning office they will forever hold you up as someone destroying the local environment.  Likewise if you loose, you will be faced with modifications or possibly removing it, not a good outcome either way.

Robin

I quite agree!  Unfortunately there are a few people around like that :(  Thankfully, the majority are good people and helpful :)

OK, done. It's most likely OK but he needs to discuss it with the building commissioner (if that's the right term, forgot the exact name he said) because it's 7cm too tall. He said up to 10cm is normally OK. And he needs to check if all buildings together are not covering more than 50% of the land.

Sounds like it should be OK.  When they say 50% buildings on the ground, I presume they take the total plot area then add up the area occupied by the house and all outbuildings including sheds etc.  No knowing what your place is like overall I wouldn't know.  I guess if it just exceeded the limit you could lose or reduce your tool shed.

Gina, that's correct.  They take the total ground space of your garden then work out what percentage is covered by outbuildings.  The max is 50%, so if you already have lots of sheds etc then that's where you could run into problems.  Not so much a problem for you with so  much land, but with modern houses have a postage stamp for a garden it can be quite tight when entertaining a project such as an observatory.

Chris, I wouldn't worry too much about those few centimetres.  I'm sure they'll let that go.  If was half a meter over then you might have to consider re-working the roof section, but (again assuming they are not jobs worth's) I would assume there would be some +- tolerance on that hight.  When will you know for sure ?

I'm a little concerned with keeping a fan heater running unattended. And I don't have electricity in the obsy yet, only a 20 metre extension reel that I need to plug in in the house and keep the window on the house open to run the cable through. I have been keeping a 1500W fan heater running when I was building and pointed it at the problem area. It got better but very slowly. That OSB is like a sponge and it's hard to get that water out.

I think I'll invest in one of these tube heaters. Thanks for that suggestion. That could then even be installed permanently as my warm room heater.

I think I made it a lot worse with this salt I put there last week. It seems to have attracted the humidity from the obsy and deposited the water exactly where I wanted to get rid of it.

Have you considered some solar powered vents / fans?

hi chris, just catching up on here, i hope it all works out ok for you.

if theres one thing that really really otters me off its nosey Flippin neighbours who got nothing better to do apart from complain about anything.

it'll be a shame if you have to change anything now, fingers crossed for you mate.

Tony,

I've edited your post to removed your poorly disguised swearing.

Such language is forbidden on what is a family forum. Please refrain in future.

Thank you.

Barkis (GM)

That's a shame, but unfortunately our planning regulations are there to help protect neighbours.

I would, wholeheartedly advise anyone contemplating an obsy build to check with their local planning authority before proceeding as the rules are quite complex depending on where you are, what you want to build and even take into account how old your property is.

Notwithstanding that I do hope it's sorted amicably and quickly.

Hi Chris,

I join the rest of the guy's and girls in wishing a succesful decision in your favour.

The Planning surveyor is quite correct in not being allowed to reveal the complainant, however, he should tell you the basis behind the complaint, since that could not be considered unreasonable and would not breach confidentiality rules.

I look forward to seing your quest completed without any further interference from jealous neighbours.

Best regards.

Sandy.

Today I have taken out that one wet OSB floor sheet. It turned out to be an excellent idea. :D

Look what I found:

post-2143-0-20973600-1385313770_thumb.jppost-2143-0-28912900-1385313778_thumb.jp

post-2143-0-06312800-1385313784_thumb.jppost-2143-0-69037000-1385313793_thumb.jp

This is a 28 litre bucket !

post-2143-0-24246200-1385313800_thumb.jp

Cleaned it and put the new sheet down

post-2143-0-50557100-1385313811_thumb.jppost-2143-0-98481000-1385313820_thumb.jp

No wonder it didn't want to dry up.

And here is my "normal" progress this weekend

Saturday I started covering the walls inside

post-2143-0-85564500-1385314056_thumb.jppost-2143-0-79149100-1385314061_thumb.jppost-2143-0-79205300-1385314070_thumb.jp

post-2143-0-89062000-1385314103_thumb.jppost-2143-0-41449800-1385314111_thumb.jp

...and continued today (Sunday)

cut holes for the light switches

post-2143-0-85534000-1385314204_thumb.jp

I had to put another upright piece of timber in the back wall where the ply sheets will meet

post-2143-0-00808900-1385314215_thumb.jppost-2143-0-41358900-1385314221_thumb.jppost-2143-0-55408000-1385314227_thumb.jp

Then put the insulation in and ply sheets on top

post-2143-0-48806800-1385314237_thumb.jppost-2143-0-15963900-1385314245_thumb.jppost-2143-0-45459000-1385314253_thumb.jp

post-2143-0-12307900-1385314265_thumb.jppost-2143-0-00011400-1385314272_thumb.jp

I hope all goes smoothly with the planning people, Chris. It sounds like you should be OK though.

It's a pity not to know the real reason for the complaint; it might be something easily resolved after all. Sometimes people turn outbuildings into offices where they intend to conduct business. That can make neighbours anxious (and would require planning permission.) Maybe you're making such a good job of the building that someone got nervous about its purpose :rolleyes:.

Adrian

Bit late in the day for Chris, but for anyone planning to embark on a back garden observatory, I think it's worth sounding out the neighbours before you start just to see if there might be any issues.  Luckily for me all my neighbours were very positive about it and some even offered to help with the build.

I've told my direct neighbours and they seemed to be fine. I have no contact (yet?) with the neighbours on the rear of my garden though. I do know, however, that at least some of them were very happy that I had that huge tree felled (to make way for the obsy) so they get some light in their gardens. I heard they even considered sharing the cost of felling it amongst themselves. But I heard that too late, I had already paid for it.

So I'm quite sure it wasn't one of them. It must be the new tenants directly on the back of our garden. They recently moved in and never saw that tree. Their garden is about half a metre lower than ours, so to them it must look about 3 metres tall. I'm guessing someone just wanted to make sure that it is all in order and according to regulations.

Archived