Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Laser collimaters

bomberbaz

I have been toying with the idea of buying a laser collimator and I have short listed it to three but I am looking for any views on my shortlist.

First in the most expensive Ho Tech http://www.firstligh...collimator.html

Then there is this offering from Baader http://www.firstligh...collimator.html

Finally this one from SkyWatcher http://www.wexphotog...cfrtmtaodmvkama

Now the first one comes with a self centering adaptor. However I have an Howie Glatterer 2" to 1.25 adaptor for the focuser so I think that part is surplus to requirements. The collimator itself does look a lovely bit of kit but is it just a little OTT for the job in hand!

The Skywatcher one seems to be the most basic of the three although I stand to be corrected. But from the reviews it does the job.

The Baader is the one I am drawn to as it seems to have a good price tag for what looks a pretty smart piece of kit, I particularly like the etched reticule feature. However I am a fan of Baader so maybe I am biased.

So I am looking for any comments regarding any of these bits of kit.

I was looking at Howie Glatterer but its simply too expensive. I know his stuff is top quality but I drew a line at the cost of the hotech.

Your thoughts guys please?

Steve

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a n00b and therefore can't offer any advice, but I was looking at these things you're on about on Youtube the other day and they look great

What a good idea!

*Crawls back under stone*

I've got the Hotech and it performs brilliantly.

It's extremely well built and, although it has collimation screws, does not seem to need collimating itself, unlike some cheaper lasers which I've heard can be a pain..

I'm eternally grateful to Hotech that I never have to give myself a headache squinting down a cheshire again!

I just bought the Baader Colli Mk lll. I used it to collimate the Tal100 frac this morning. Out of the box it was spot on and i didn't need to adjust it. I haven't used it on a reflector, so cannot comment. it seems like a nice tool, but its the only one i have ever had, so can't compare to any others.

Thanks fellas. i have actually just found a some additional information also. Think with what I have read I shall be opting for the Baader. Ho Tech one too great by all accounts but I think that the Baader will meet my needs and comes quite a bit cheaper.

I have the Hotech and although I am not sure that I know what I doing with it yet, have to say it is well made and gives an easy to see crosseffect with the laser. I also had the Baader mk2 and thought it was rubbish, it was fra too easy to knock out of calibration for my money, it was sent back.

Alan

I just bought the Baader Colli Mk lll. I used it to collimate the Tal100 frac this morning. Out of the box it was spot on and i didn't need to adjust it. I haven't used it on a reflector, so cannot comment. it seems like a nice tool, but its the only one i have ever had, so can't compare to any others.

Did you use a cheshire as well ?

I know you can use the laser collimator to check that the focuser is square with the optical axis but I've always used a cheshire to check the tilt of the objective lens, as a separate operation.

On collimator types, I had a Baader for a short while but it was out of collimation itself and it's asymmetric body shape makes it difficult to re-collimate. I now use a cheshire and a well-collimated but low cost Revelation laser.

Bomberbaz, I use the laser for my RC scope, for a newt yes you need the tublug to act as a target for the returning laser. However with my newt I can do it as good with a Cheshire EP. I am a real fan of the Cheshire, a simply superb device.

I had issues with my Seben. It is not accurate enough IMO and loses its collimation too quickly; I don't trust it. If there is one piece of kit you simply must trust its s laser collimator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know you can use the laser collimator to check that the focuser is square with the optical axis but I've always used a cheshire to check the tilt of the objective lens, as a separate operation.

They evidently have their fans, but as a glasses wearer I've found collimating with a cheshire to be a horrible experience.

In my opinion it is far easier to get the secondary square on the focuser with a coli cap and coloured card, as this will not wobble about like a cheshire will, your eye is closer too the secondary and you have more light to work with.

I've found that the secondary only moves off the focuser if it gets a big knock, but I check it with the coli cap every so often anyway.

I've had to adjust it a minuscule amount twice in a year.

I'm horribly [removed word] about things like collimation, so collimating with a cheshire took me about an hour. Hotech = 5 mins and then out and observing! Other lasers may be good too, but my philosophy with things like this is 'buy the best and buy once'.

On collimator types, I had a Baader for a short while but it was out of collimation itself and it's asymmetric body shape makes it difficult to re-collimate. I now use a cheshire and a well-collimated but low cost Revelation laser.

Yes john, I tried several times with a cheshire, and thought I had cracked it, but when I put the laser in the focuser it was way off the centre of the objective. I rotated the laser, and rotated the 2"-1.25 adapter, to see if it made any difference, but the laser dot would not come close to centre. I then unscrewed the focuser and realigned it, and got the laser dot dead centre. All seems good now.

I found with the cheshire that the holding screw on the focuser tilts it and makes it impossible to get a reliable collimation.

I have the SW laser collimator and it works just fine for me and I am fussy! I would never trust a 'factory set' laser hence the SW one for me as it is user collimatable.

Sent from my iPhone from somewhere dark .....

I had a Baader for a short while but it was out of collimation itself and it's asymmetric body shape makes it difficult to re-collimate. I now use a cheshire and a well-collimated but low cost Revelation laser.

Never thought about that john, well pointed out. hmm going to have a rethink.

I have the SW laser collimator and it works just fine for me and I am fussy! I would never trust a 'factory set' laser hence the SW one for me as it is user collimatable.

First comment on that but thats also giving food for thought. Along with john's comment about a revelation type one.

Laser collimators = worms-tin-open

I don't use a laser at all. they can be used effectively but a Cheshire gets my f4 scopes spot on. I take the view that I look through my eye not lasers so setting by eye with the cheshire is the best way. the only time I ever did use a laser was with a barlow for the primary. try it though, might work for you.

Looking at the design of the baader, I agree it would be difficult to collimate using a V cut into a block of wood. However if you use nails that are placed properly and set at the right heights, I don't think it would be that difficult. So I think I shall stick with my original choice, Baader it is.

Looking at the design of the baader, I agree it would be difficult to collimate using a V cut into a block of wood. However if you use nails that are placed properly and set at the right heights, I don't think it would be that difficult. So I think I shall stick with my original choice, Baader it is. :smiley:

Looking at the design of the baader, I agree it would be difficult to collimate using a V cut into a block of wood. However if you use nails that are placed properly and set at the right heights, I don't think it would be that difficult. So I think I shall stick with my original choice, Baader it is. :smiley:

Lasers have their place. They are good for aligning certain optical elements, such as ensuring the focuser is square, refractors and RC scopes. But, for me personally, until I acquired a really accurate one I didn't trust them. And even though I now have a very accurate laser (i.e. the Howie Glatter) I am still a very, very big advocate of the Cheshire method for Newtonians. When you have got your head around how to use a Cheshire and a center collimation cap (I am still learning most definitely so no smugness on my part) they are quite simply superb.

That's my opinion. We all think differently!

I do still have a Cheshire and I will use it in conjunction with the laser. I recently had a fellow enthusiast help me collimate my scope and found the whole process quite easy. However we did use a laser to get the secondary lined up correctly. Using a cap I thought I had it perfectly lined up, the laser said otherwise. Then we collimated the primary and checked it with the Cheshire.

Having done this and heard numerous forum members advocate the use of both Cheshire and laser for good collimating, I am happy to follow their lead.

I will report back myself on how I find the Mk III Baader and give my own verdict. Also i am going to make my own collimator collimator and see how I get on with that too.

atb

Steve

Archived