Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wild Ducks

Finally got to look at M11 last night. That was a treat I have been deprived of for far too long. In the end I had to put toe dob base on a low table in order to get enough elevation for viewing. Well worth all the effort.

Nick,

many thanks for the tips. I managed M14 too recently. However, I'm still having trouble with M9. More an issue of obstacles in the way than anything else I think. I had a look at M5 the other night to compare with M13. Never a dull moment when the skies are clear.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I could almost see the Milky Way last night just before I packed up. I only get to see it on rare occasions where I live. The curse of light pollution! Still, it was a reasonably productive evening and the forecast is good for tonight as well!

Good call, but the moon is getting intrusive now. Keep your eyes on the moon phase when planning dark sky forays. You don't wanna swap LP for moon glow. :)

Looking at the EXIF data for my photo I also note it was taken in September. So also take into account the long summer twilight when planning trips too.

one of favourites too, like you say its like a loose glob or a tight open cluster .

ive not visited it this year , i managed a sketch of it last may ( i say sketch in the loosest possible terms :grin: )

post-11888-0-99911900-1368952340_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this thread, every time I go out I want to add something new the list to look at all I need do is read this part of the forum :) M11 looks a nice one indeed to go for, just got to wait a bit for the sky to come around for good viewing from my garden to see that, been spending some time around that side of the sky recently with the M10, M12 bagged already, I knew something was missing in the middle :D

• 5 weeks later...

Archived