Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nebulosity v Maxim v Pix in sight etc. etc.

I purchased Maxim DL hoping to use it for everything, now I use PHD, PShop and Maxim only for stacking and calibration which it does effortlessly once you figure out how it works :)

just a very expensive piece of stacking software really.

Dave

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use both Nebulosity and PixInsight. However, I only use Nebulosity for CCD camera control and image capture (as well as dithering alongside PHD Guiding, which work wonderfully together). PixInsight is used for all image post-processing. If you consider the Photoshop vs PixInsight argument, do note that PixInsight is coded from the ground-up for astrophotography whilst Photoshop is not. Also, Photoshop is actually more expensive (even more so now with Adobe's new subscription-based business model for updates). In my experience, PixInsight can be used to achieve stunning results where Photoshop becomes very cumbersome and also not as capable, though both can do a great job overall. PixInsight can also do the image calibration with bias, darks and flats in a very efficient manner. Its potential is absolutely huge and is only getting better with updates, again all targeted towards astrophotography.

Taken from my blog's About page, this is my list of software and what I use it for:

- EQMod for polar alignment and manual control

- Alignmaster for precise correction of polar alignment

- Stellarium with StellariumScope for goto alignment and target acquisition

- CCDCalc for framing planning of potential targets

- Nebulosity for full CCD camera control and dithering

- PHD Guiding for auto-guiding

- FITS Liberator for checking resulting images in the field

- DeepSkyStacker for image calibration

- PixInsight for post-processing of images to produce final result

I stuck with Nebulosity for capture and dither guiding with PHD, PI for processing, ( i do dabble with PS but prefer PI as I have used it far more and followed far more tutorials for it.)

Nebulosity is also good for all pre-processing so I hear, but I never tried it.

Astro Art was nice for calibration until the Script in PI became available.

I use Maxim for guiding & pre-processing. I started out using phd for guiding but it sometimes blew a wobbly, which frustrated me.

Once understood I have never had a problem with maxim, the plate solving software with pinpoint is brilliant. The best thing is, I am confident using it.

True, it's not easy to start with, but it is a powerful software package and once you get your head around it, it just works.

I am considering PI for post processing, but in the mean time I am using my time just gathering subs..

cheers

Steve

My winning combo - based on bang per $$$$

Is AstroArt for aquisition ( with the DSLR, ATiK's, Lodestar and QHy5 and stacking, processing etc etc and PaintShopPro for layers etc.

(In spectroscopy we don't do much "tweaking" and try to keep the data as "clean" as possible.)

As someone attempting to enter the world of AP I find the selection of AP software utterly bewildering, it may not be possible but it really would be much easier if one piece of software did everything. I think I'm also hampered by not being particularly computer literate, surfing the net is about my limit. Reading all the threads on here about this software and that software I really haven't got a clue what you lot are going on about. Talk about a steep learning curve.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I use artemis for capture in my opinion a superb capture program for atik camera and filter wheel, AA for calibration aligning and stacking and a nice trichromy tool for rgb combine(.I have also used nebulosity for calibration then aligned and stacked in AA )am presently trialing PI(think I will be purchasing it) and like many of its tools,A big thanks to Harry Page for his video tutorials they are very good indeed.Then finish in cs6 also use cs6 for adding L to RGB.I use phd for guiding and fingers crossed have never had a problem with it.

• 1 month later...

I personally use Nebulosity 2 with Phd Guiding for image acquisition, and subsequently with Images Plus I do the pre-treatment and stretching DDP, and after stretching, use Astroart 4.0 for image processing. After that came out AA 5.0, the preprocessing is much improved. MaxIm is too expensive for me, but it is also very complete and powerful ..

I use both Nebulosity and PixInsight. However, I only use Nebulosity for CCD camera control and image capture (as well as dithering alongside PHD Guiding, which work wonderfully together). PixInsight is used for all image post-processing. If you consider the Photoshop vs PixInsight argument, do note that PixInsight is coded from the ground-up for astrophotography whilst Photoshop is not. Also, Photoshop is actually more expensive (even more so now with Adobe's new subscription-based business model for updates). In my experience, PixInsight can be used to achieve stunning results where Photoshop becomes very cumbersome and also not as capable, though both can do a great job overall. PixInsight can also do the image calibration with bias, darks and flats in a very efficient manner. Its potential is absolutely huge and is only getting better with updates, again all targeted towards astrophotography.

[snip]

Same here, only just bought PI and Nebulosity a few weeks ago but I'm liking the combination for the same reasons.

This is like using a Planewave truss, an Officina Stellare primary mirror, the RA gears from Astro-Physics with 10Micron encoders...

Fortunately on the software side it is possible to cherry pick and I stopped looking long ago for one package that does all. MaximDL (The one I don't have) seems to be the package that tried hardest in achieving this, and came closest.

I need something simple to use at home and in the field to capture - and use Nebulosity and PHD for this. The stacking and calibration routine I learnt the quickest was the one Astro Art provided. So that is a keeper. Some tweaks done here to sometimes, like digital developement, as an experiment.

Photoshop is useful to know anyhow, and Iayers that Olly often points out is a must - PaintShop Pro does it cheaper though as Merlin66 said - and more intuitive I find. One of the two is hard to work without.

Pixinsight is the icing on the cake for me - that little extra. I use it for colour and background work. But the more you dig into it the more icing you find. It's icing 'all the way down'.

/Jesper

Archived