First Saturn of the season

JamesF

And we're already past opposition already... It's only just got to the point where it's possible to image from my usual location for any length of time at an hour that might be described as reasonable.

I spent a good couple of hours capturing five minute runs from the 127 Mak and ASI120MC with a 2x barlow at 10fps. I couldn't go any faster than that really as gain was very high. The only option for a faster frame rate would probably have been to drop down to 1.4x or lose the barlow altogether. The avi files were cropped down with PIPP and then 50% of the frames stacked with AS!2 before wavelets and post-processing in Registax v6.

Here are the best two images. I'm not sure I can split them. I'm quite pleased overall. I've not checked back through my previous images of Saturn yet, but these two may be the best I've ever done despite the disadvantages we have in the UK this year.

saturn-2013-04-30-05.pngsaturn-2013-04-29-12.png

James

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I got really lucky, to be honest. The first few runs were really not great, to the point where I couldn't even be sure I had the scope well-focused. Then suddenly the seeing just seemed to improve and stayed that way for a good hour or so.

James

Those are very nice images, especially considering the relatively low altitude of Saturn at the moment. It would be easier from somewhere like southern Spain... But you got good detail on the planet.

Chris

I think I got really lucky, to be honest. The first few runs were really not great, to the point where I couldn't even be sure I had the scope well-focused. Then suddenly the seeing just seemed to improve and stayed that way for a good hour or so.

James

Yep, same here - when I set up the seeing was OK then quickly turned attrocious - so I gave up as I had to be up early this morning :(

Several times I had to check that someone hadn't lit a gas fire just in front of my scope the distortion of the image was so bad - lol :D

IR pass filter and a mono camera? Is there a "recommended" IR pass filter to use (the Baader one, perhaps)? I was doing so well at not spending money on astro stuff of late, too :)

There's a promise of a clear sky tonight. I could at least give RGB a go to start with I guess.

James

You can use IR pass with your colour cam James but it would I'm guessing halve the frame rate. I've got the Astronomik 742 pass filter which are 34 quid at modern astronomy. You could then combine the IR image with one of your colour shots in winjupos. Just a thought as IR has worked wonders for me on Saturn especially in dodgy seeing. :smiley:

You can use IR pass with your colour cam James but it would I'm guessing halve the frame rate. I've got the Astronomik 742 pass filter which are 34 quid at modern astronomy. You could then combine the IR image with one of your colour shots in winjupos. Just a thought as IR has worked wonders for me on Saturn especially in dodgy seeing. :smiley:

I've got the same filter on my (now broken) mono cam. Would it work using it with a Philips SPC900 to image Saturn? (I'm using a mak 127 like James).

Al

Yes with the IR/UV filter removed but your shutter speed will need to be greatly reduced and you may need to bring down the focal length to get a decent frame rate. I may get out tonight and try it with my new colour QHY cam (cant use it with DFK because of IR/UV block filter.) and report back on how much it reduces frame rate.

Hmmm. Bernd suggests that the IR pass filters may only benefit scopes of more than 5" aperture, so it's perhaps a bit experimental with the 127 Mak. I might give RGB a whirl whilst I ponder on IR pass. I doubt it will go unused in the future if I do buy one :)

James

I think it's more force of habit to use PIPP for planetary imaging now I've moved to AS!2 for stacking, but if AS!2 can't do the job it makes life much easier with Registax. Where I use it heavily is for full disc lunar and solar imaging when I always use Registax for stacking.

James

You might struggle with Jupiter, to be honest. It's getting quite low in the sky by the time the Sun has set and I think if you include the width of the rings its apparent size is less than that of Saturn now. No reason not to give it a go if you think you can get something useful though :)

James

Hmmm. Bernd suggests that the IR pass filters may only benefit scopes of more than 5" aperture, so it's perhaps a bit experimental with the 127 Mak. I might give RGB a whirl whilst I ponder on IR pass. I doubt it will go unused in the future if I do buy one :)

James

Okay no worries James just thought I'd mention it. :smiley:

Very nice James - I think you can see the "C" ring?

I reckon it's there, yes Roger. That was one of the things that pleased me so much about these images. I've never captured that for certain before now.

James

Archived