Hi and thanks for the advice so far

boolean

Hi,

New member but have read many posts whilst trying to get my head round things, so thanks for all the advice already received. I don't own a telescope yet, but am a keen photographer. I have a Canon 550D and have done startrails photos to death. I now want to get into astrophotography but I have a very limited budget.

I have a 170-500mm f6.3 lens - would I be better off getting a decent tracking mount for this setup or look at something like a skywatcher 80 on an eq mount and hanging the dslr off that ?

Thanks

Simon

Welcome to SGL

What you do really depends on your budget. If you want to take exposures of over about 30 seconds you'll need an EQ mount of some sort and anything you can expect to handle a telescope and camera easily isn't going to be cheap if you buy new. On the other hand, a camera and lens may well work for you on a lower end EQ mount.

The usual recommendation to anyone considering imaging is to get a copy of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" to get an idea of where you're heading and what will suit your budget.

James

Hi Simon and welcome to SGL, if you want to contemplate AP with the camera alone and you are on a tight budget, there is a DIY route, if you have some skills or know someone who could help. Have a look at Dave Trotts Barn Door project, this has produced quite amazing images even using the basic design, more advanced models will track at the sidereal rate for quite long periods :)

John.

Archived