A hello from Copenhagen

ironjaw

Hi, just wanted to say hello from Copenhagen, Denmark.

I've always had an interest in astronomy and stargazing but never took the plunge to do anything about it. It's only when my 5 year-old niece expressed an interest while gazing upon the full moon (I've been reading her a book on the solar system for children) that I thought about acquiring a telescope. And also that I hit 30 :)

Unfortunately, I found this website after buying a Celestron 21062 Astrometer 70EQ Refractor Telescope from Amazon. I bought it with the Equatorial-Mount, Moon filter, Celestron 93326 1.25 inch Omni 2x Barlow Lens, and Guide to the Night Sky: A Guided Tour of the Stars and Constellations (Philip's Astronomy).

I also picked up a Canon 350D camera, so when I've learned the sky and how to use the telescope, I can start taking pictures.

Any recommendations are welcomed.

Cheers everyone.

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you have designs towards imaging, I would strongly recommend getting hold of a copy of Steve Richards' book, "Making Every Photon Count". Modestly priced but comprehensive in its information, this book will certainly help ensure that you can progress in the right direction for the type of imaging you want to do. In essence, imaging solar system objects (Moon and planets) is best done via a webcam, where the best 'frames' are kept and then stacked on top of each to make a final composite image, whereas imaging deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebulae, can only be done using an equatorial mount that has very accurate tracking which will ensure that enough data is collected to construct the final image. As you might imagine, it's a little bit more involved than simply attaching a camera to the scope and pressing the shutter release and the above book will certainly help guide you through some of these difficulties. Hope that helps.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Velkommen.

1) Have some fun with your new scope! It's decent enough for a first instrument.

2) Get to know your camera. I used to own a 350D. Great bit of kit.

3) ronl has already mentioned Stellarium. Given that you have a lunar filter you might also want to download Virtual Lunar Atlas.

4) Keep posting on these forums. Plenty of people willing to give help...

Clear skies.

Hi everyone, thanks for the warm welcome. And also a hello to Danish and Swedish neighbours. Oblong, any good advice or astronomy clubs in Copenhagen that you can recommend?

Hi everyone, thanks for the warm welcome. And also a hello to Danish and Swedish neighbours. Oblong, any good advice or astronomy clubs in Copenhagen that you can recommend?

Thanks Grunthos. I tried the scope yesterday, haven't received the moon filter nor the 2x barlow yet. I saw an okay image of the full moon. The scope is a bit cumbersome, but then again I was in my apartment. I know it will take some time and experience to learn how to use it. I was a bit indecisive when choosing still preferring the Celestron 130EQ without the drive. But I never used a newtonian scope and this one seems simple enough to start with.

I have to admit that I'm a British imposter - and my Danish is not yet good enough to be used in public - so I haven't joined any local clubs. There are a few places I have gone for very dark skies - the north coast between Tisvilde and Liseleje, and to the South, Avnø Naturcenter (who also seem to organise astronomy events). http://www.naturstyr...nd/Naturcenter/. I'm sure there are other good sites closer to town, too.

The Astronomical Society http://www.astronomisk.dk and their forum http://www.astro-forum.dk look like great sources of information too.

Archived