SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

leo triplet

Pete Presland

Hi Pete... You've got a VERY nice image here... but it has a bit of a gradient. What do you use for post processing...?

I hope you don't mind, but I just very quickly ran it through Gradient Xterminator (a plug in for Photoshop, which is VERY easy to use, and not that expensive! :smiley:) and it came out with this...

post-6161-0-18636000-1366329577_thumb.jp

I believe there is also a method for removing gradients purely within photoshop, but I've never mastered it!

Hi Pete... You've got a VERY nice image here... but it has a bit of a gradient. What do you use for post processing...?

I hope you don't mind, but I just very quickly ran it through Gradient Xterminator (a plug in for Photoshop, which is VERY easy to use, and not that expensive! :smiley:) and it came out with this...

no i dont mind at all, the main reason for posting is to recieve advice, of course the compliments are very nice as well.it certainly looks better, i didnt notice it on my laptop where i did the processing.

i have been using the free :rolleyes: photoshop2 that adobe gave away, the gradient is that the glow from the right hand top corner that gradually disappears

... the gradient is that the glow from the right hand top corner that gradually disappears

In short, yes - It's actually more green top right and becomes more red towards bottom left... Gradient Xterminator is $50 though, and I'm pretty sure there are ways in photoshop to remove gradients, but I'm lazy and I've never bothered to learn as I bought it a LONG time ago!

There is also DBE in PixInsight which is arguably even better... but PixInsight is significantly more (but then again, it DOES a lot more!)

Some nice detail there. Without the gradients it looks a lot better. I do feel the colour balance is a bit off (reddish). A bit of tweaking with colour curves can help

Pete - I agree with Michael here - When I was running gradient Xterminator over it, I noticed that whilst the histograms are aligned, the red channel is "stronger" than green and blue. As Michael noted, with some careful slight curves in green and blue channel, you should be able to overcome the red colour cast...

PS - Whilst thinking about it, and although of no use at all removing a red cast, HLVG is very good at removing green casts - It's a free plug in for Photoshop :smiley:.

Pete - I agree with Michael here - When I was running gradient Xterminator over it, I noticed that whilst the histograms are aligned, the red channel is "stronger" than green and blue. As Michael noted, with some careful slight curves in green and blue channel, you should be able to overcome the red colour cast...

PS - Whilst thinking about it, and although of no use at all removing a red cast, HLVG is very good at removing green casts - It's a free plug in for Photoshop :smiley:.

thanks for the advice, i have downloaded the HLVG programme, i will have to think about the $50 for gradient Xterminator and explore other avenues first

I was going to mention the gradient and the red colour, but having read through the thread (yes I do!!) I see that Andy has already dealt with that. Some way to remove gradients is definitely a good thing to have in your tool box. I use PixInsight and really do rate it. I did try following tutorials on youtube and also Anna Morris has a video on her site using photoshop, but I couldn't ever get it to work as well as dedicated programmes.

I have a good way of removing gradients in PS, and it´s free:-)

Make a copy of your original with gradients, clone away stars and nebulosity in the copy, then use a gaussian blur 30-40. Go to Image, apply image, blending subtract. Voila! Anyone else tried this?

Best regards,

Bergman

I have a good way of removing gradients in PS, and it´s free:-)

Make a copy of your original with gradients, clone away stars and nebulosity in the copy, then use a gaussian blur 30-40. Go to Image, apply image, blending subtract. Voila! Anyone else tried this?

Best regards,

Bergman

thank you for the advice, you make it sound so simple :grin: i will endeavour to give that a try!

Archived