SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

CPC 1100 - just how big are they

I bought the Edge C8 with a plan to use it on the Nexstar SE mount. I didn't mind the thought of the possible vibrations as it represented a perfect grab and go. FLO supplied me with the first SE mount which wasn't too loud but the power socket came loose so needed to be exchanged. The second arrived and sounded like a coffee grinder. I knew the new SE mounts were slower than my old Nexstar 8i but noisier too? Just couldn't handle it so that had to go back. If FLO had been able to source a quiet SE mount and they do exist but its luck of the draw then I would have stuck with the Edge. Razor sharp images and great portability. Alas, they couldn't and after 2 returns I felt really awkward despite fantastic customer service. So I'm going to reluctantly give up on the Edge 8, sell it at a loss and get the CPC. Hopefully the extra aperture will make up for the lack of portability?

If not then I really will be going in circles.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any idea how big the box is when they arrive?

I've been looking at getting quotes from couriers to see if they can ship a C11 or similar but without the dimensions it's kind of hard.

I mean teleskop express quote 50 euro to have a cpc11 delivered here via UPS, I doubt that price would be available to the public.

hello Seiko, I've just picked up on your post. I have the CPC1100HD and I have to say that for all visual and planetary use it is outstanding. I also use it (with a wedge) for some dso photography - smaller galaxies - M51 fits perfectly. It is heavy, but ergonomically extremely well thought out, so lifting it is not so difficult as you might think. I still have the original packaging, so if you want their dimensions, let me know. However, (without the packaging) I regularly transport it in the boot of my car, so I would describe it as portable. It is also extremely quick to set up, with the Go-to very accurate. Be aware that although expensive, it comes with a first class eyepiece - Axiom 23mm, tripod, and everything except the power supply to run it.

The main disadvantage seems to me the propensity for the front lens to collect dew. I have many times had to use a hairdryer to keep the front lens dry. And I would also criticise the focuser - it does work, but many times I have been tempted to upgrade to one of the crayford type focusers (there are many available to suit the CPC1100.

I have never tried the hyperstar system - I understand that focusing at f2 can be pretty difficult, although some people do get amazing results.

Hope this helps.

Chris

hello Seiko, I've just picked up on your post. I have the CPC1100HD and I have to say that for all visual and planetary use it is outstanding. I also use it (with a wedge) for some dso photography - smaller galaxies - M51 fits perfectly. It is heavy, but ergonomically extremely well thought out, so lifting it is not so difficult as you might think. I still have the original packaging, so if you want their dimensions, let me know. However, (without the packaging) I regularly transport it in the boot of my car, so I would describe it as portable. It is also extremely quick to set up, with the Go-to very accurate. Be aware that although expensive, it comes with a first class eyepiece - Axiom 23mm, tripod, and everything except the power supply to run it.

The main disadvantage seems to me the propensity for the front lens to collect dew. I have many times had to use a hairdryer to keep the front lens dry. And I would also criticise the focuser - it does work, but many times I have been tempted to upgrade to one of the crayford type focusers (there are many available to suit the CPC1100.

I have never tried the hyperstar system - I understand that focusing at f2 can be pretty difficult, although some people do get amazing results.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks Chris, yes it does. I'm just waiting for the CPC 1100 HD to be in stock so I can place the order. Whilst waiting I'm still looking back at the regular CPC1100 especially as I already have the 23mm Axiom eyepiece and 2" Diagonal. Anyway, fingers crossed they get it in stock soon or else it'll be a normal CPC for me. Noting it would still be the largest SCT I've had.

The Celestron 11 series are an excellent telescope. But I repeat my advice earlier from my own experience - a C11 tube (edge or vanilla) on an EQ mount will give you many more options and be a wiser long term investment than the CPC series unless you know in your heart of hearts you will always be a visual guy. I started out as visual too but Astro photography, with such a large instrument soon comes a-knocking. Been there and got the T shirt with the CPC series.

The Celestron 11 series are an excellent telescope. But I repeat my advice earlier from my own experience - a C11 tube (edge or vanilla) on an EQ mount will give you many more options and be a wiser long term investment than the CPC series unless you know in your heart of hearts you will always be a visual guy. I started out as visual too but Astro photography, with such a large instrument soon comes a-knocking. Been there and got the T shirt with the CPC series.

Well I could obviously get the Sywatcher Az EQ mount and keep my Edge HD C8 if I was that worried about imaging. Then I could upgrade the OTA later but... I'm really not sure whether I'd like to mess around with balance, counter weights etc. I would love the quietness though, I'm a bit of a fussy [removed word] when it comes to the slewing noise and the CPC isn't that quiet. Still when I had my CPC 800 I liked the convenience and the idea of getting a large OTA appeals.

Maybe try one of the new AVX mounts? They sound like a good match for the C8.

Once you've balanced once (fully loaded), add the safety clamp flush with the puck and cheat...there's no need to re-balance if you leave the safety clamp in place. The C8 only needs a small counterweight too, and you can mark the bar with a permanent marker. Then get one of those Starsense gizmos. Job done.

There are ways and means...

Maybe try one of the new AVX mounts? They sound like a good match for the C8.

Once you've balanced once (fully loaded), add the safety clamp flush with the puck and cheat...there's no need to re-balance if you leave the safety clamp in place. The C8 only needs a small counterweight too, and you can mark the bar with a permanent marker. Then get one of those Starsense gizmos. Job done.

There are ways and means...

Nah, I don't like the idea of EQ, not at this stage anyway. I'll stick to either the CPC1100 or CPC 1100 deluxe. Just got to see when the deluxe arrives in stock.

Sounds like a nice setup but I don't want the hassle of an EQ mount. I really want the convenience of an alt az mount and although I could pick up the sky watcher alt az EQ mount I'd then be stuck with the edge HD C8. I've decided I want more aperture so to either a CPC 1100 or CPC 1100 deluxe. Just depends on the price I can get them for really.

Just a quick follow up to this. I have after far too much deliberation finally ordered the cpc 1100 deluxe. Thanks to everyone who helped me make the decision, all helped. Of course if I don't like it I can blame you guys right and get a whip round for the refund? :grin:

One of the larger astronomical equipment retailers got started in the US (if memory serves it was Astonomics) because the founder could afford the list price of C8 so he got a loan, bought 30 of them at the dealer price, kept one and sold the rest. Brave perhaps, but it worked out well for him and is now a family run business.

Enjoy the scope when it comes. Its souds like you really knew what you wanted and were not swayed by peer opinion and other suggestions. I salute you for sticking to your dream sir! :)

thanks, it was a big decision but I'm happy with it. It will be the biggest scope I even contemplate to own. I still wonder about a high quality apo but that's for another day. The CPC 1100 will hopefully perform right out the box and when I'm ready I will look at getting the hyperstar imaging system for casual imaging. Weirdly, the shopping list doesn't end even before the scope arrives, I'm already thinking new Focuser if this sample suffers from excessive image shift/mirror flop. Electric cooling fans if as everyone suggests the c11 is a pain to cool and I still need a low mag wide files eyepiece as the 23mm is a little too high powered. Still, if I can sell my edge 8 " then at least I can pick one or two of these. Expensive business this looking at the stars!

Well I have a 2inch WO Dielectric but the cpc comes with the 2" anyway. Personally I never noticed any difference between the WO and standard celestron diagonals so it will be an interesting comparison.

as for the Focuser I'm not sure what's better yet, really depends how this particular unit behaves. The dual speeds look nice but I wonder whether an electric or Crayford Focuser would be better suited.

Yeah, I'd second a good quality 2" diagonal. You WILL want to put heavy, longer focal length eyepieces in it. I'd go as far as to say you owe it to yourself, and the scope, to do it real justice :cool: if you wanted to save money for a rainy day, you've come to the wrong place :D

If the scope suffers from mirror shift/flop (all SCTs do to a greater or lesser extent), a crayford is a solution, but for visual I find being gentle with the focus knob can work wonders ;) besides, there are mirror locks on the HD scopes which (so I've read but not tried) you can engage for fine focussing.

Also, I haven't experienced a problem with cooling, but I do tend to think/plan ahead. If I think I might use it, I stick it in the porch for an hour beforehand, and by the time I've faffed with the GEM it's fine. Not saying that fans won't help, just that they're a solution to a problem that may or may not exist, but YMMV. I don't find my C11 HD is any more problematic than my C8.

Well I have a 2inch WO Dielectric but the cpc comes with the 2" anyway. Personally I never noticed any difference between the WO and standard celestron diagonals so it will be an interesting comparison.

Personally, I don't like metal screws digging in to the side of my eyepiece barrels... the Celestron has these, the WO doesn't :cool:

Well to answer my original question, they are big but not too big! Really very manageable end looks like a shrunk R2D2. Lifting is easier than I thought.

Overall, it's a great scope and more than manageable. Chuffed!

:laugh:

P.s. one annoying niggle, when powered via my PowerTank it makes an annoying whine sound from the main board. Apparently Celestron say this isn't a problem. Thankfully powered via the mains is silent!

http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=2575&nav=0,230

• 3 months later...

I own a CPC 1100 and bought second hand and I the scope, I am large guy and can manage it no problem but I have to keep it well out of the way of the dogs. So it lives upstairs making moving it a bit of a problem hence why it does not get used as often as it should. I am in the process of building a observatory to house it in read in to that what you will ref its portability but I think if I was not lugging it up and down the stairs I would be going through the financial burden of the observatory.

• 2 years later...

Archived