Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CPC 1100 - just how big are they

They are big.  I am 6"2 bodybuilder and man-handling these things is by no means easy.  It is not that they are that *heavy* (although they are) it's more the size and how cumbersome they are.  Great scope though all the same.  I miss mine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the C11 Edge on a Paramount MX+. I also have a Celestron RASA (even longer than the C11) & a 9.25 as my "portable telescope"

Make no mistake the C11 Edge is a heavy OTA when you are trying to slip it into the jaws of the losmandy type fitting clamp on the CGEM DX mount or Paramount MX versa plate. It is easy in the light with help but a pain in the dark that will have you cursing beneath your breath!

However, there is a much less painful solution which you will thank me for. Order a set of parallax rings & mount these on your mounts mounting plate. Changing or storing of the OTA becomes a breeze. I can replace my OTA's from C11 Edge to RASA within a couple of minutes including a full balance of DEC & RA. It is so much easier to drop the OTA between 2 rings than mess around with a dovetail slide & it makes balancing really easy as you can slide the OTA between moderate pressure on the rings & then finally tighten when in place.

This solution has made me much happier as the weight of hoisting an OTA at above shoulder height is now a distant memory. However if you have multiple diameter tubes then its a bit more problematic as you have to change the rings.

I think the weight is reasonable to handle as its very ergonomic ! Although if you plan to add a wedge then it becomes to heavy and time consuming to set up. I enevitable built an observatory so I didn't have to continually set things up although I had it for a year before I started photography and set it up alt/az each night . 

edge.jpg

Archived