Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CPC 1100 - just how big are they

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just depends whether you like your ultra wide (or wider) eyepieces (Nagler, Ethos or similar) or not... with these it's possible to see the coma of the scope, whereas the Edge HD correct for this.

Well the idea was to buy this one as a main scope and then add some nice eyepieces over the following years as my budget recovers. I think the Deluxe just feels like a future proof step to take that I can grow into/with. The regular would certainly be great initially but for I don't wont to already use the terms, and when I want wide field eyepieces I can upgrade! I'd like a scope that I'd consider a keeper. Just that £400 over the 4K. That's my own personnel issue/limit.

If I'm honest, there is little point in going for an Edge HD, the coma in an F/10 scope is surely not going to be bad, and if using for planetary imaging then coma is not a problem as it won't affect the centre of the field of view ;).

If I'm honest, there is little point in going for an Edge HD, the coma in an F/10 scope is surely not going to be bad, and if using for planetary imaging then coma is not a problem as it won't affect the centre of the field of view ;).

that's what I thought but having posted on Cloudy Nights expecting the same advice and preparing to place the order for the standard CPC the majority of the responses were, get the Edge, especially for visual. its clearly a better scope but it's 2K more!

I agree to a point, coma isn't bad at f/10 compared to newts, but once you get nice eyepieces and see it the first time, you can't un-see it :eek:

If you we're only interested in planetary, it wouldn't make a difference. But if you want DSOs as well, the Edge no contest, point stars across the field without coma and field curvature. The FOV is relatively narrow from the long focal length, so you want to maximise the best you can.

If you're determined to have the Deluxe CPC, wait a while and save up some more cash.

that's what I thought but having posted on Cloudy Nights expecting the same advice and preparing to place the order for the standard CPC the majority of the responses were, get the Edge, especially for visual. its clearly a better scope but it's 2K more!

They would say that in the US wouldn't they? They don't live in Rip off Britain. Only you can decide whether or not the preposterous premium of the Edge series is justifiable (over and above the already very high price of the regular CPC series).

All true, well I want the Deluxe, no question but my maximum is 4k. I wont /cant pay a penny more, just would feel ridiculous. It's still a CPC, mass produced and no guarantee of quality optics. So I just need to find one at that price. Easier said than done!

you can buy mine for 4k i will deliver it now lol. seriously when i bought my cpc a friend who had the cpc 11 we compared notes on dso,s and planatery and the 9 was equally as good realy nothing in it. i have had my scope now for 2 years and it still makes me smile the go to is so accurate all the time and the tracking even at 300x is always spot on. there is a review on cloudy nights about these 2 scopes and they couldnt tell the difference either so that says something

you can buy mine for 4k i will deliver it now lol. seriously when i bought my cpc a friend who had the cpc 11 we compared notes on dso,s and planatery and the 9 was equally as good realy nothing in it. i have had my scope now for 2 years and it still makes me smile the go to is so accurate all the time and the tracking even at 300x is always spot on. there is a review on cloudy nights about these 2 scopes and they couldnt tell the difference either so that says something

Thanks, with only £500 difference between the 9.25 Deluxe and 1100 deluxe I kind of want to get the largest aperture I can especially as this would have to be a keeper. I have had a few 8's and I think the 9.25 would be too similar. The 11 will realistically be the largest scope I own. Still, I've heard the 9.25's are very nice.

celestron quote the 9 is there jewel in there crown, but the hd must be better, or you would of thought

As a C11 owner, I'm bound to defend my ridiculous investment and dispute this... but the 9 being a jewel, gem or other sweet spot for visual is almost certainly a myth :evil:

seiko, I hear what you're saying, but paying £4k for a scope when you really want the £4.5k scope and refusing to pay it on principle only hurts yourself :rolleyes: I don't imagine Celestron care one bit... I don't mean this to sound mean or harsh, it's just an outsider's perspective. There are other great scopes to be had for that kind of money too though.

If I were to do it again, I would most likely get the CPC instead of the EQ mounted one at those prices, but I bought mine while the C11 was on promotion and substantially cheaper. The EQ6 is a bit of a pain to setup if I'm brutally honest, but I'm sure it's as much lack of practice because of the dastardly weather that makes me feel that way.

It certainly rewards/delivers whenever I get to use it. It's out there waiting for me right now, as it happens. First clear night on a weekend without family commitments for ages :cool:

As a C11 owner, I'm bound to defend my ridiculous investment and dispute this... but the 9 being a jewel, gem or other sweet spot for visual is almost certainly a myth :evil:

you could well be right dunkster

but i doubt it :grin: my mrs says im never wrong lol

seiko, I hear what you're saying, but paying £4k for a scope when you really want the £4.5k scope and refusing to pay it on principle only hurts yourself :rolleyes: I don't imagine Celestron care one bit... I don't mean this to sound mean or harsh, it's just an outsider's perspective. There are other great scopes to be had for that kind of money too though.

If I were to do it again, I would most likely get the CPC instead of the EQ mounted one at those prices, but I bought mine while the C11 was on promotion and substantially cheaper. The EQ6 is a bit of a pain to setup if I'm brutally honest, but I'm sure it's as much lack of practice because of the dastardly weather that makes me feel that way.

It certainly rewards/delivers whenever I get to use it. It's out there waiting for me right now, as it happens. First clear night on a weekend without family commitments for ages :cool:

Yeah, I've just been out with my baby C5 and binos looking at the moon and its a superb view. As for the £500 difference, I wont buy the 9.25 knowing I want the 11. But I wont cough up the extra either, I'd rather wait until Celestron drop their prices or offer a promotion, they will at some point. Of course I still might go for the regular CPC1100. As for other scopes, I suspect they will only bring their own pros and cons to the party, I've stuck with Celestron since my very first scope, an ETX90 EC. I try and stick with them some more but obviously if I cant hold out then another scope might get a look in. And yes, Celestron wouldn't give a monkeys if I buy their scope or not. Shame, as brand loyalty used to mean something.

Yeah, I've just been out with my baby C5 and binos looking at the moon and its a superb view. As for the £500 difference, I wont buy the 9.25 knowing I want the 11. But I wont cough up the extra either, I'd rather wait until Celestron drop their prices or offer a promotion, they will at some point. Of course I still might go for the regular CPC1100. As for other scopes, I suspect they will only bring their own pros and cons to the party, I've stuck with Celestron since my very first scope, an ETX90 EC. I try and stick with them some more but obviously if I cant hold out then another scope might get a look in. And yes, Celestron wouldn't give a monkeys if I buy their scope or not. Shame, as brand loyalty used to mean something.

Obviously my ETX 90 EC was a Meade but I then upgraded to a Nexstar 8i. Weirdly if I'd actually bought what I nearly bought at the time the ETX125, I probably wouldn't have cycled through so many scopes! So, lesson learned, buy the biggest you can afford and set up!

Astronomy very rarely brings sales. The only way you'll reliably get money off is by getting 2nd hand. Occasionally, you do get some 'Open Box' returns from retailers such as FLO and they do give a small discount, and sometimes you get TeleVue or Explore Scientific sales, but they are not to be relied upon because they are not a guarantee unlike January sales in the rest of the retail industry. January is the busiest time of year for Astro-retailers, it's the Summer that is slowest.

Neither will anything else shy of a 20" inch mirror...what's your point? :p

That one scope will never do it all :).

I'd argue, however, that a 20" would probably be better stopped down if used for planetary, the atmosphere would probably limit the resolution.

Now, this has strayed a little from the Original Post, sorry about that seiko ;).

Indeedy, getting back on track ;)

What is it about your C8 that you don't get on with? My C8 is my most used scope, so versatile, portable, etc, etc. From what I've heard, the C8 HD is a real gem :cool: Obviously, it can't match the light grasp of the C11, but that's not a surprise to anybody :D

Archived