Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astro buy and sell . . . . purchasing

There can be genuine reasons but I'd be wary. Is the seller a member if an astro forum and what selling history does he have with ABS. These are the basics I would check out

Not necessarily - if you've got a confirmed Paypal address and offer to pay the fees and they still say no I'd probably avoid it. Of course, this is assuming they have a Paypal account to start with!

People's reluctance to accept Paypal is either due to the fees or because they're not covered if someone does a credit card chargeback after you've sent the goods. As a seller, I insist on a confirmed Paypal address and recorded delivery for me to accept it as a payment method.

I've purchased and sold by the same method without an issue

A lot of sellers don't like the fee's or the fact that if there is a claim against them they are pretty much certain to lose.

99% of people on AB&S are genuine I have found but there are as all walks of life the exception.

I love ASb&S, without exception the folk I have traded with buying or selling have been A1, And have met a few in person too. Have used Paypal as little as poss and bank transfer, whilst I may have been lucky you get a feeling about the person you are in contact with.

I won't use Paypal as a seller due to the conditions, which allow Paypal to take money from my account if the buyer complains without reference to me. This is an open invitation to dishonest buyers. Most people are honest, but those conditions are unacceptable to me, so I sell only to cheque/bank transfer/cash transactions.This has occasionally led to offers to buy being withdrawn, but I have no problem in accepting the right of others to make judgements that might be regarded as mistrust.

Jim.

Ive sold bits and pieces here to other members and i asked for cheques because i didnt use paypal at the time, due to not owning a CC. Only once when i have sold stuff, i received no payment.

Ive bought also from SGL members using someone elses CC on paypal. Yes, they said i could use their CC.

I'm sure the person has a legit reason, but be sure to check out his selling history.

I learned the hard way on ABS, as did several other forum members here who all 'bought' the same item from the same person.

Said vendor had been a member here for a while and was previously well regarded. He is now banned.

Be aware that as a buyer you no have easy means of getting your money back unless you use Paypal. In addition, as ABS themselves recommend, never use Paypal Gift as you'll forfeit all of Paypal's buyer protection.

Go by any other route and you are sacrificing all your protection for the sole benefit of the seller. I won't be doing that again. If it goes wrong then your only remedy is through the police/Fraud Action.

Fortunately, for the members here who were defrauded in our incident, Fraud Action did step in. Nonetheless, expect a lot of hassle and hands on work push, push, pushing along the way.

After my experience, it will be Paypal only henceforth or cash on collection. Yes, there are honest people out there, but be aware that the dishonest ones will ask for you to pay by certain means - such as bank transfer.

Your choice, your gamble.

Unless the individual is a known quantity and respected ABS'er, I always meet half way when buying and selling to protect myself and the other individual in the transaction. If its a reasonable amount most folk will agree to meet half-way within sensible distance to offload something at the right price (OK Exeter to Edinburgh might be an exception but you get the idea! :) ). At least that's been my experience.

I'm interested in something on AB&S from someone in the Cambridge area at the moment, but I'm erring on the side of caution as I don't know the vendor and I'd basically be buying blind.

James

It happens both ways sadly. I've been burned as a purchaser because after transferring the money to his bank account I never heard from the Seller again. He would not answer his phone or reply to texts. I wrote to his bank branch giving them full details but never got a reply from them. So I had absolutely no comeback and was out of pocket. So ill only use PayPal and if I'm really keen ill offer to add on to cover fees.

Off topic a bit, but yesterday i sent 2 EP's off to UK. I had to fill out a customs declaration saying what i was sending. The person in the post office asked me if there anything of value and may need registering it incase it does not arrive or arrived damaged. I said NO, because i asked no payment for them and both EP's are probably worth about £30 on todays market.

Both EP's were in tough plastic canisters, so should arrive intact.

I'd say almost all on there are indeed genuine however im uncertain about a purchase I made yesterday. The seller asked that I pay by paypal as a gift. The site warns against this so i refused and said i'd pay through paypal and add on for fees. He agreed. Still his email addy looks a little suspicious to me and he was 'very' quick to dispatch the item considering he was in work. Of course he may just work for a webhosting company right next to a post office.

Have to remember that AB&S is simply a site for buying or selling used astro equipment, it is not ebay.

Like many I do not have an Paypal account of any sort, and if people here on SGL say they want to be paid via Paypal I have to forget the purchase. Lost a few things owing to that.

Is the seller close enough to collect ?

Archived