NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scopes I've owned since I started .....

John

Just for fun and to mark my 20K posts on this forum ( :shocked: ) I thought I'd pull together some pics of the scopes I've owned over the years I've been in the hobby. They are broadly in chronological order I think with the Tasco 60mm at the top left of the 1st picture being the first of course - and I've still got that one :smiley:

There are a few missing but I reckon those were just "passing though" :rolleyes2:

For those that are interested the scopes are:

Picture 1:

Tasco 12TE 60mm F/13.3 refractor on alt-azimuth mount

Astro Systems 6” F/6 newtonian on Fullerscopes MkII equatorial mount

Bresser Uranus 102mm F/9.8 refractor on Vixen SP mount with Skysensor GOTO

TAL 100RT 100mm F/10 refractor on TAL equatorial mount

Celestron Nexstar 5 125mm F/10 schmidt-cassegrain on Nexstar GOTO alt-az mount

Skywatcher ED100 100mm ED F/9 refractor on Skywatcher EQ5 mount

Helios Evostar 150mm F/8 refractor on EQ5 equatorial mount

Orion (USA) ED80 80mm ED F/7.5 refractor

Celestron C8 plus 8” F/10 schmidt-cassegrain on RA driven fork mount

Konus ST80 80mm F/5 refractor

Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX 250mm F/4.7 dobsonian

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P 200mm F/5.9 dobsonian

Skywatcher 127mm F/11.7 maksutov-cassegrain on SupaTrak alt-azimuth mount

Meade Lightbridge 12 305mm F/5 truss tube dobsonian

William Optics Megrez 90mm F/6.9 ED refractor on Skywatcher AZ-3 mount

Picture 2:

Bresser 127L 127mm F/9.4 refractor on Celestron CG mount

Celestron C5+ 125mm F/10 schmidt-cassegrain on Skywatcher AZ-3 mount

Meade AR6 152mm F/8 refractor on Skywatcher SkyTee II mount

Konus KonusSky 150mm F/8 refractor on Ambermille Alt-Azimuth mount

Vixen ED102SS 102mm F/6.5 ED refractor on Ambermille Alt-Azimuth mount

Orion Optics Europa Deluxe 250mm F/4.8 newtonian on Ambermille Alt-Azimuth

Intes MN61 / Orion Argonaut 150mm F/5.9 maksutov-newtonian

Skywatcher ED120 Pro 120mm F/7.5 ED refractor

Skywatcher Evostar 150mm F/8 refractor

Orion Optics SPX 300mm F/5.3 newtonian on Shane Farrell dobsonian mount.

I can honestly say that I've enjoyed them all :grin:

post-118-0-67938600-1365160840_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-69990400-1365160849_thumb.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, John, 20,000 posts! Congratulations! What an asset you've been to SGL. Here's to the next 20,000!

And 25 scopes!! Hopefully by now you know what you like!! I've just tallied up the scopes I've owned and make it 16 in the 6 years since I started, but the lust for trying out more is no less strong....!

I bet you didn't own this one, John :D

telescope_three_quarter_view.jpg

Nope - my other half would complain even more :smiley:

I don't have an observatory. My scopes live in a corner in our dining room and need to be relatively easy to get outside and to be moved around the garden now and then during a session. The 12" Lightbridge fell down a bit here as it was rather heavy I found. My current Orion Optics / Moonshane dob is a lot lighter :smiley:

I have a 3 scope limit agreed with my wife so thats all I'm allowed at any one time although I can get away with "one in transit" for a while, plus my old Tasco 60mm as that's currently in the loft :wink:

As for my favourites, well it's the 3 I've got now of course - they are listed in my signature :smiley:

Others which have really stood out include the blue Skywatcher ED100, the TAL 100 and the Intes MN61 mak-newtonian. If those three suddenly re-appeared in my collection I wouldn't complain one bit :grin:

I wouldn't want to be the one to put the lens cap back on lol

:grin:

It looks a bit like one of those old scopes that Huygens had built - one of those was over 100 feet long :shocked:

Nice post John and plenty of room for adding a few more to this selection/collection over the coming years ;)

Congrats on passing the 20K posts marks and for all direct and (often indirect) advice/assistance - much appreciated.

My young lady is getting somewhat cross with just three scopes sitting in the conservatory - "What does this one do that the last didn't!" is the oft repeated refrain!

Thanks - Jake

Thanks Jake :smiley:

Yep - I still get those same questions !

I think the key will be trying to rotate a new one in without exceeding three in the house at any time, though a big dob is going to take a little explaining - might have to be a flextube ;)

Hi John

Lovely list and pics :). Grats on 20000 plus posts! I've found your contributions since I've joined SGL to be informative, helpful, supportive, enthusiastic, knowledgable and fun. I'll second Shane, you are indeed an asset to this forum.

I look forward to reading the next 20000! And seeing how that 'scope list expands ;).

Cheers!

Thanks very much folks. While the scopes have been fun it's also a touch embarrassing really as there have been times when I've sort of gone around in circles and arrived more or less back where I started :rolleyes2:

Interestingly, I've been a member of Cloudynights for about the same amount of time that I've been a member here but I've only made 400 or so posts there. This place is a great place to be and sharing views on stuff with you folks is a privilege and a pleasure - thanks for putting up with me :smiley::icon_salut:

Gratz on the 20k posts! Im just on the one scope still at the mo. Have just upgraded the mount though, so cant afford to buy anything else now!

For quite a few years I used just one scope - a 4" refractor. I'd have given my right hand to have a scope like yours back then but an 8" EQ mounted newtonian cost over £1,000 then and I just did not have the disposable £'s for hobbies, having young kids etc.

Archived