Hello I'm Debbie from near wolverhampton

sirius51

I've recently got into stargazing. I have recently bought a skywatcher 130p (eq2) after 2 weeks of research, i have been out in the garden and was amazed at what i could see. I have got a 10mm and 25mm eyepeices that came with the telescope. I have been looking at the barlow lens the skywatcher economy x2 barlow is £15 and the skywatcher deluxe achromatic x2 is £30 apart from the price is there much difference between the two ?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my (limited) experience, you get what you pay for. If you invest in the better one now, you hopefully wont find yourself wanting to upgrade again for a while, whereas if you buy the cheaper one you may be disappointed with it and after a couple of months end up buying the more expensive one anyway.

I may be wrong but I believe my scope came with the more expensive of the two and it works really nicely with the EP's supplied (which are the same as yours)

NP :) I saw someone else on here say a brilliant phrase - there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. You should find that use of a barlow on that scope with those EP's give some breathtaking views of the moon, and it essentially doubles your EP collection so when your observing different things you then have 4 magnification options rather than 2.

If you go for the Deluxe one I dont think you'll go far wrong :)

You'll find literally thousands of helpful people on here aswell so ask away!

Which bit of south staffs are you from? Im not far away from Burton on Trent myself.

Hello Debbie and welcome to SGL. Like most things in the astrono0my world you can get things quite cheaply and also very expensive versions - I usually look at items somewhere between the two and then ask others on here what it is like before buying. Good Luck

Hi Debbie and welcome to the forum. As others have said above, always buy the best you can afford and remember that the better the quality, the better the resell value will be should you want to pack it in all together (...hopefully not!) or more likely want to upgrade to the next best thing. Barlows at this price range aren't a magic silver bullet and indeed some of them can introduce their own aberrations into the mix too. The 'delux' is the better option and will certainly be of help in getting you started at the beginning. I would definitely recommend that you read this "sticky" on eyepieces that is normally found at the top of the Beginners General Help & Advice section, as it will give you some useful background information to use with your scope.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

James

HI Debbie,

Join a local astronomy society so you can "try before you buy". You;ll end up down the pub with a load of geeks (like me) when the clouds come in, but we are mostly harmless and you'll meet some interesting people, full of useful advice, who will let you play with their toys when it gets dark.

P

I started back into this hobby with that setup Debbioe, I had great fun viewing the moon planets and nebulae and a few galaxies. It is a very versatile scope for the money,

I would go for the delux balow, however of you see a Tal x2 snap it up as I found it excellent esp with the 10mm eyepiece

Welcome to SGLand happy viewing.

Archived