Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Atik 490EX

Atik have announced a new model in their 4-series line, the Atik 490EX. It features the latest 9.1MP ICX814 EXview CCD from Sony so is a very flexible camera. Besides its obvious small refractor and Fastar/Hyperstar abilities, it can also maintain a respectable pixel count at different binning levels (2.2MP binned 2x2 and 1MP binned 3x3). This enables the owner to use the camera in a variety of telescopes by selecting the appropriate binning level and still achieve a worthwhile image size on screen, even binned 3x3! Moderate aperture telescopes will be well within reach, like SCT’s and RC’s in the 8-10” range.

The Atik 490EX will be available from mid-April but will be in a relatively short supply until mid-May.

Please see our website for specifications and an up-to-date price.

atik_490ex_ccd_camera.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has the 460 actually been reduced yet?

IanKing has it for £2,049

So we have a price war! :grin:

If you check again you should find the lower price is now live (you might need to refresh your browser).

Have you also compared the 428EX price? :wink:

Could I plead with you to quote the chip size in mm, sides and diagonal? This is so rarely given by manufacturers and it's what you need to plug in a simulation of the camera on the sky and to know the required optical image circle. It really should be a standard part of any published spec. Not your fault that the makers don't give it but given SGL's exemplary standard of service... :icon_salut:

This look as like a truly fantastic camera. Just think of the Grab and Go potential with a camera lens setup and that small pixel size. Or the way it would work with your Mini Borgs...

Olly

Could I plead with you to quote the chip size in mm, sides and diagonal? This is so rarely given by manufacturers and it's what you need to plug in a simulation of the camera on the sky and to know the required optical image circle. It really should be a standard part of any published spec. Not your fault that the makers don't give it but given SGL's exemplary standard of service... :icon_salut:

We're FLO, SGL is the forum, but I knew what you meant, and thank-you :smiley:

I have added the dimensions, they are 12.49mm Horizontal x 9.99mm Vertical (15.97mm diagonal). We had to scratch our heads a bit for the diagonal, it's been some time since any of us used Pythagoras' theorem! I'll do the same for the other models but we are snowed under with the Easter Hol' backlog so it will probably be sometime next week.

This look as like a truly fantastic camera.

Yes. We are being careful not to become too excited (it would only sound like spiel) but we think Atik have a winner :glasses2:

The 490 looks the better deal if the 460 is only £100 less.

Surely won't Atik need to reduce the price of the 460 to around £1,750 to distinguish the two models?

It is more likely the 490EX price will rise, they are probably keeping it low for a successful launch.

A 1.0 product?

Caveat emptor possibly? Or is it not like that with Atik? Not being a cynic, just interested - £2k is a lot of money to be a early adopter?

The Atik 4-series platform is tried and tested and it uses a Sony sensor with no shutter mechanism. So no need for Caveat emptor. Plus, Atik have invested in a UK service centre and we offer a 30-day return policy. Early adopters are safe :smiley:

mmmm small pixels... I wonder what detail you'd get out of a solar scope with one of these.. would need a new scope as I'm already at 1.67 or 0.88 arc sec/pix with the 383L..

We're FLO, SGL is the forum, but I knew what you meant, and thank-you :smiley:

I have added the dimensions, they are 12.49mm Horizontal x 9.99mm Vertical (15.97mm diagonal). We had to scratch our heads a bit for the diagonal, it's been some time since any of us used Pythagoras' theorem! I'll do the same for the other models but we are snowed under with the Easter Hol' backlog so it will probably be sometime next week.

Yes. We are being careful not to become too excited (it would only sound like spiel) but we think Atik have a winner :glasses2:

Sorry, I meant FLO, of course.

Olly

Now then.... this is an interesting camera. I was wondering whether Atik would issue a response to the Starlight Xpress version, and now they have. I'd expect them to set the price at a level to be competitive, 100-150 quid cheaper is what I would have thought (£2199?) - not that I can afford that kind of money right now :)

Still, it would be nice to see some real-world results from it, apart from that data sheet there is no other information. But with pixels that small (3.69) you could probably shoot everything binned, even with a short(ish) FL telescope.

I've been using the 428 and 460 binned 2x2 and the results are more than acceptable. This new beastie looks veeeeeeeryy desirable!

What about filters though? Will it need 2" filters?

Cheers

What about filters though? Will it need 2" filters?

It has the same sensor dimensions and backfocus requirements as the Atik 460EX so will work well with regular 1.25" filters, even in fast telescope setups :smiley:

... with pixels that small (3.69) you could probably shoot everything binned, even with a short(ish) FL telescope.

We have added a pdf brochure to our website's Atik 490EX product description page. It includes this chart which shows the camera's versatility.

atik_490ex_sampling_examples.jpg

It has the same sensor dimensions and backfocus requirements as the Atik 460EX so will work well with regular 1.25" filters, even in fast telescope setups :smiley:

Excellent! Right, who wants to buy a kidney? :p

People have been bashing small pixel size with high megapixel counts for the last few years. How many 314Ls were sold compared to 320Es? Why the sudden about face?

I have the 694 version of the chip (same size chip, less but bigger pixels) and were I without a camera right now, it's still the one that I would buy again.

People have been bashing small pixel size with high megapixel counts for the last few years. How many 314Ls were sold compared to 320Es? Why the sudden about face?

I have the 694 version of the chip (same size chip, less but bigger pixels) and were I without a camera right now, it's still the one that I would buy again.

Doesn't the 320 have a smaller chip? I think it does. It's a good little camera, though.

Horses for courses. There's an increasing interest in very short FL Grab and Go imaging setups for which this small pixel/decent chip size camera is well specified. I'd be thinking about mating it carefully to a Canon 200L for mobile imaging, for instance.

I agree with you that there is no point in small pixels just for the sake of it. Quite the reverse. When megapixel counting comes up it is usually from beginners who can't see why the latest monster megapixel DSLR can be beaten, as it certainly can, by a low megapixel CCD.

Atik or SX? Well the software advantage of Atik is a bit of a no brainer and here I see the SX full frame out cooled in summer by the Atik by up to 7 degrees despite the SX having been back for an extra fan. I'm sure both are good but the cooling business is not insignificant. By the way, we find we can't bin the SX H36. It produces too many artefacts, notably triangular shadows next to stars. I suppose it would be an idea to be sure the binning will work if this is axiomatic to your choice of chip.

Olly

Archived