Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC410 The Tadpoles - final process

x6gas

I think I've given up with Serif PhotoPlus!

This is a "final" process of my IC 410 data, this time done using PhotoShop CS2. I have to say that PhotoPlus X4 has some nice features but - even though it's almost a decade old - PS CS2 takes some beating; it certainly handles the large file sizes of a drizzled stack way better.

I've posted a number of iterations of this one, but for me this is it for this data and I am happy with result... So we have:

24 x 600s Ha

22 x 600s OIII

21 x 600s SII

OIII and SII was captured using my FSQ-85 and the Ha combination of the Baby-Q and my TS90APO. Registered using RegiStar, stacked in DSS, and processed in PhotoShop CS2.

Scopes: FSQ-85 and TS90APOc

Camera: Atik 460ex mono with Baader 2" filters

Guiding: Atik OAG, IMG0H, PHD

Mount: Celestron CG-5

gallery_11821_2457_380211.png

Higher resolution version here.

Thanks for looking!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I find this too green. I have run it through the PI SNCR process and in my opinion it's a big colour improvement. If you want me to post it, then let me know. If not I'll delete it from my hard drive.

Personally I find this too green. I have run it through the PI SNCR process and in my opinion it's a big colour improvement. If you want me to post it, then let me know. If not I'll delete it from my hard drive.

I have to say that it doesn't look overly green to me Sara, but I'd be very interested to see your version so please do post it.

I do have trouble with colour appearing differently when uploading images to SGL and I am really not sure why... This particular one, though, looks fine on my calibrated monitor at home, on my laptop and iPad, but the colours look a bit too garish on my monitor at work...

Thanks Velvet, Gina, Martin, and Janis.

I'm worried that you'll all be getting IC410 overload from me given that I've posted a number of different versions of this target but I've really appreaciated the comments and advice and really feel that it is helping me to improve my processing.

As I say, I'm happy with this one. Just hoping the cloud will part for long enough to capture something else in the coming weeks and months. The weather outlook here looks pretty bleak!

Thanks again for all the encouragement!

All I did on this one was reduce the green in SNCR and then had a quick play of the sliders in selective colour in CS5. I think this shows the green that I felt was there. Much bluer in the middle area now - But then it's personal preference I suppose :smiley:

post-5681-0-68460400-1364221460_thumb.jp

All I did on this one was reduce the green in SNCR and then had a quick play of the sliders in selective colour in CS5. I think this shows the green that I felt was there. Much bluer in the middle area now - But then it's personal preference I suppose :smiley:

post-5681-0-68460400-1364221460_thumb.jp

Hmmm. On my screen the centre of the nebula looks almost indigo, but I take the general point. I've tweaked the greens in the following but I find that I can tinker with the colours all day (and all night!) and as you say with false colour images it's a matter of taste, I guess!

gallery_11821_2457_19745.png

Yes, I agree - colours in "false colour" images have to be purely subjective. Must say your images look really beautiful :) I shall be very pleased when/if I can manage such great images. Sara's version is also beautiful - equally I would say - just different :)

Terrific image Xgas, i am suprised you are 'new to imaging' with a finish like that, my view is to process it to what ever colour you like as it's your capture, both versions are nice.

I am suprised your are 'new' to imaging Xgas with a scope like that :-)

Thanks Amra, Rickard, Prokyon, Ewan, and Gina (as usual).

I had thought the Hubble palette was turquoise and gold but having looked about on the net a bit I can see that the blues are often more towards the indigo. What I am learning though is that particular tweaks to the colours - either globally changing the hue and / or making selective colour adjustments - emphasize different details and bring out more contrast in some of those areas. So it's a balance of ending up with pleasing colours that also bring out the details... and of course trying not to muck up the background too much. It's all a learning curve!

Terrific image Xgas, i am suprised you are 'new to imaging' with a finish like that, my view is to process it to what ever colour you like as it's your capture, both versions are nice.

I am suprised your are 'new' to imaging Xgas with a scope like that :-)

Well, new to imaging in that I've been at it in earnest for 18 months but in that time I've only had serious attempts at a handful of objects. If memory serves I've captured M42 (first image with my C6N and DSLR but then had the chance at a second hand 383L, filter wheel and filters so took the plunge), the Horsehead Nebula, M27 Dumbell Nebula, M33 Triangulum Galaxy, an aborted attempt at the Bubble Nebula, the Pacman Nebula, and this.

I realize that I am very lucky to have the kit I have. I've taken heed of lots of advice on here, but also ignored some (I use my CG-5 for imaging with my 'fracs which doesn't seem a popular choice but works fine for me). The advice to go down an off-axis guiding route was priceless and I certainly don't regret that... but I am still sure that I am not getting the absolute best out of my equipment so plenty more to learn.

I've made a concious effort to try to capture an adequate amount of data - not easy with the weather - and I think that makes processing easier. It does mean, though, that this is the only target I've imaged since Christmas.

But it's the processing where I am really learning. I've done three or four full reprocesses of this data - literally going back to stacking each time - with quite a different result. This may sound silly, but I'm still coming to terms with what I like. I spend hours on a process, think I like the result but then come back to it and think it's over-sharpened, or under-sharpened, or the colours aren't quite right etc. Probably over the top but got to do something while it's cloudy! You're right that it's what I like in the end that matters, but the feedback on here really is useful in terms of the encouragement it provides and in getting tips to keep improving.

Just as I feel I am getting there with my 'frac set-up it's time to go galaxy hunting so I'll be wheeling out the HD11 if the weather ever clears!

Anyway, thanks again for all the encouragement and comments. I really, really appreciate it.

The encouragement from other members is really important I feel :) I think I would have given up long since if it hadn't been for SGL. I get a real feeling of friendship and helpfulness on here. :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

Xgas, i have the same predicament regarding the mount, i am looking at buying the Altair Astro Wave Series 102 F7 Triplet or Altair Wave Series 80mm F6 Super ED Triplet APO, the £ difference between the 2 is nearly £500 so maybe get the cheaper one & put spare £ towards an Atik, this will go on my CG5-GT which i am hoping would perform well, from your results i should be ok (scopes may well be different weight though).

Keep doing what your doing Xgas as it seems to work for you as you say, ill drop you a pm btw mate if thats ok.

• 1 month later...

Archived