NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PanSTARRS getting better

Thanks guys

Exposure was 13 seconds at F6.3 @ 800iso I was lucky getting the astrotrac polar aligned in the twilight.

Thanks. That suggests my 400mm lens won't be much use without tracking and the comet isn't visible from my garden where I could track it! Will have to continue with my 50mm f1.4 then.

really like this one, best shot on SGL so far! what software did you use for stacking? PS: ejwwest, you should be able to get away with your 400mm lens, but you'll have to up the ISO and keep exposures below 1s. Not ideal I know, but the results can be surprisingly acceptable.

Very nicely done. I was thinking about using my astrotrac for the comet but I have not seen it since the 13th! Clouded out ever since.

Could you tell me more about the sidereal rate? I'm still not quite well up on that sort of thing.

I have not seen this comet yet due to cloud and it being very low (15 degrees elevation). However i was reading SPM's yearbook of astronomy tonight and on 28th Mar 2013 this comet will be 20 degrees high...............which suits me but it will be fainter. Fainter doesnt worry me once i have snowballs chance of seeing it at 20 degrees elevation.

So all hope is not lost.

An interesting spectroscopic observation of Comet PanSTARRS by Paolo Berardi clearly shows the Swan bands of carbon, the continuum from reflected dust and a prominent emission peak of sodium.

http://quasar.teoth.it/html/spectra/Pan_STARRS_poster_pb.jpg

Note: this "peak" would be lost if you're forced to use LPR filters!

Very nicely done. I was thinking about using my astrotrac for the comet but I have not seen it since the 13th! Clouded out ever since.

Could you tell me more about the sidereal rate? I'm still not quite well up on that sort of thing.

Sidereal is just the normal star tracking rate, with the Astrotrac you can also chose lunar or solar rates. The individual frames of the comet are only 13 sec so it's not a problem it's not actually following it, as it get higher and fainter longer exposures will be needed and that’s when autoguiding on the nucleus will be an advantage.

Mel

Archived