Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bob's Knobs?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely !!!!!

I fitted some on my old CPC1100 and they were brilliant. True, if you know what you are doing you can get knurled bolts from an hardware store and do it yourself. But why bother for the sake of £13 delivered in the UK and you get the custom thing exactly the right length etc. Not worth my while looking.

Bob is a great guy as well. Email him.

EDIT: btw on the two sets i have ordered customs and VAT not interested.

I've never heard of this happening. Wouldn't worry about it.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

I think the tax free limit is £15. At the current exchange rate, a set of Bob's knob cost £17 including shipping. Just enough for HMRC to take notice. VAT and duty is relatively cheap for £17, but the Post Office may slap you with a fixed handling charge. The handling charge is small when you compare it to the cost of a ES82, but it's huge when you compare it to the cost of a set of Bob's knob.

The question is whether HMRC will let it slip through the net.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 for Bob's knobs. Just make sure you order the right ones for your scope and that they ship the ones you ordered. I ordered mine for a Celestron 8" SCT but they sent ones for a 6". Bob made it right in no time though & at no cost to me. Great product and awesome vendor... :)

Good to see so many positive opinions about Bob's knobs. Few days ago I also ordered sets of Bob's screws for my SCT 11". 
I think it is good alternative for screwdriver. Watching any  movie about collimation at youtube everything seems to be very easy but in fact it's quite challenging especially with big SCT tube. Within a couple of days I hope it will come.

Good to see so many positive opinions about Bob's knobs. Few days ago I also ordered sets of Bob's screws for my SCT 11". 
I think it is good alternative for screwdriver. Watching any  movie about collimation at youtube everything seems to be very easy but in fact it's quite challenging especially with big SCT tube. Within a couple of days I hope it will come.

Hi all, today I have just received bob's knobs. It is really fantastic thing and fulfill to my expectation. However, after installing it turns out that I can not put dust cap onto my telescope. Knobs are little bit bigger than space between secondary mirror housing and edge of telescope assembly tube - screws protrude beyond the edge. Have you met with such situation?  Have you got some hints?

My telescope is Celestron 11" compatible with fastar system.

Hi all, today I have just received bob's knobs. It is really fantastic thing and fulfill to my expectation. However, after installing it turns out that I can not put dust cap onto my telescope. Knobs are little bit bigger than space between secondary mirror housing and edge of telescope assembly tube - screws protrude beyond the edge. Have you met with such situation?  Have you got some hints?

My telescope is Celestron 11" compatible with fastar system.

There is something about this on Bobs Knobs website - they can interfere with some dust covers.  Dont take my word for it but they actually recommend bending the dust cover slightly (although I am not sure how that would work!).  On their site they also say they will send some dust cover spacers for free if the dust cover wont clear the knobs - take a look at their site.. pdf link : http://www.bobsknobs.com/Literature/assets/Instructions_English.pdf

Bullet point 6 is what I am referring to.

Good luck!  (mine arrive in a few days too)

There is something about this on Bobs Knobs website - they can interfere with some dust covers.  Dont take my word for it but they actually recommend bending the dust cover slightly (although I am not sure how that would work!).  On their site they also say they will send some dust cover spacers for free if the dust cover wont clear the knobs - take a look at their site.. pdf link : http://www.bobsknobs.com/Literature/assets/Instructions_English.pdf

Bullet point 6 is what I am referring to.

Good luck!  (mine arrive in a few days too)

Yes, you are right - I have already seen it but it's refers to metal dust cover. Unfortunately my, is made from plastic so I can not bend it. I have contacted with Bob and he offered me some others knobs - smaller one (by the way super speed answer). After measuring I see that dust cap after assembling on the telescope tube almost touch the secondary mirror housing. So, I am afraid that even if I exchange knobs for smaller one there will be still not enough space to  cover the telescope. 
I have to think it over but one of the concept which comes to my mind is to cut hole in the center of dust cap and attach in this place another convex part of plastic or buy different cap...

Regarding UK stockists. I got mine over a year ago in stock from Rother Valley. Last time I looked they still listed them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they do, I got mine from them last month.  People seemed to be enjoying themselves discussing import fees and shipping charges so I didn't like to spoil the fun.

Be careful if the cover won't fit. If you stand the SCT corrector plate down (as most do when storing SCTs). If the screws are proud of the corrector cell the you could damaged the corrector.

You shouldn't store an SCT mirror/corrector down. If it gets hot, the grease used to help the mirror slide about can run - and possibly get onto the corrector. No fun.

Re: Bob's Knobs..... Perhaps a hacksaw could be employed - if you have enough play?

Clear Skies,

Dave

You shouldn't store an SCT mirror/corrector down. If it gets hot, the grease used to help the mirror slide about can run - and possibly get onto the corrector. No fun.

Good point.

Mine was face down in the obsy all through summer last year. Luckily, for us UK citizens, the summers are usually rubbish!

Good point.

Mine was face down in the obsy all through summer last year. Luckily, for us UK citizens, the summers are usually rubbish!

Didnt know that - so scope should be stored pointing up... or parallel to the ground?

Archived