Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PST tripod.

sallystar

I use an AZ3, cheap enough, specially 2nd hand. The slow motions are good but it is manual drive. :smiley:

Me too. Works well and has a set up time measured in seconds.

I also have a motor driven mount of unknown make which sits on an old Vixen tripod I was given. I use this when I can be bothered aligning a mount, and it tracks the sun very well for thirty minutes or so before drifting.

Hi,

I bought an EQ3 motor (had an HEQ5 and EQ6 and they just track so well) and then a Merlin GOTO for my solar scope. Almost any [low cost] driven or Goto mount will do. My Melin is great, but a low cost second hand AltAZ would have done just as well. Good luck with your bid, hope you get it at good price.

Robin

I bought the Merlin table-top so that I could swap its GOTO handset onto my autotracking dob. I sometimes use the PST on the Merlin with the simple tracking control, on a sturdy photo tripod.

Usually have mine on a Giro-mini mounted on a sturdy tripod (manfrotto 28) or for tracking either the cg5gt or astrotrak. The wee scope doesn't require much to be honest. Have seen lots of people using portamounts as well.

I've been using a Giro II on an old surveyors tripod, and a Manfrotto 701hdv on a Berlebach 2022 tripod, both of which work well.

I've just got hold of a Giro Mini which goes nicely on the Berlebach so I'm looking forward to giving that a go with the PST.

I've also observed through one on a Skywatcher Merlin tracking mount which worked very well so is another good option.

Stu

Oh yes!

All of my solar pictures since August of last year have been with a Synscan Merlin, mounted on a EQ3 tripod. The Merlin is easily capable of supporting a Lunt 60, mind I do balance it first. I had to tighten the clutch nuts a little first, a common problem with all Slywatcher Alt/AZ mount.

My Lunt 60 is a pressure tuner, which adds a fair amount of weight, so no problem with capacity and it tracks really well, even when not aligned.

I bought the Synscan Merlin but you don't really need a Synscan, an autotrack would be fine for solar.

In addition to the Merlin, I have an EQ6 ( tracks really well but far too big) and an EQ3 ( too much of a hassle to set quickly for solar). Oh and I have a EQ1 with motor drive which I used to photograph the moon, nice little mount, but a bit limited.

Robin

• 2 weeks later...

If by "easier to track the sun" you mean "easier to push around and adjust where it's pointing" opposed to "something that will actually track the sun for you"

I use this combination

Manfrotto 128 RC fluid video head. http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-128rc-micro-fluid-video-head/p10903

on a

red snapper tripod http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/copy_of_RST-283.html

It's got nice clutch controls and a fluid movement and the whole assembly is light-ish.

I use the same head with my WO ZS80 and it works fine (although the '80 is really pushing it weight wise - it's a bit wibbly wobbly)

PST is easily in it's weight capacity.

• 8 months later...

Hi Tony, just wanted to thank you for the recommendation. I have been using a Nexstar SLT as my photo tripod is too flimsy and jerky and did a search to get advice on what others use. I have just purchased what you posted and intend to use it when out and about as hopefully it will be more portable than my other mount. I will still use the SLT mount at home though.

Cheers

Archived