Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

24mm Panoptic

Daniel-K

And we have just the eyepiece to fill that gap when you start another post.

Good luck with the weather.

Rik,

I have one of them and I think it is excellent though it don't get used enough. Might well buy a 5mm if FLO has one too.

Alan.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just been reading that the delos needs a fair bit of back focus have you noticed this ?

I use a standard 50mm travel Moonlite and have never had any problems with any of my Delos reaching focus.

ps. I agree with Rik, the 14mm Delos is a blinder.....you need to get it! :grin:

Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick but I thought Rik was talking about a 14mm Pentax that he has, I have one too. If I am wrong sorry.

I have used the 6mm Delos tonight on the 190mm and that is one fine eyepiece, it was not the best of conditions but Jupiter was fabulous. Saw the PUP with the 10mm Delos, if I go much above X100 I can't see it any longer. To finish before the clouds took control I viewed the trapezium and saw both E and F stars with ease.

Are the Delos's par focal, I don't know, it's not very often I have more than one at the scope at a time, I will check and report back.

Back focus is no problem that I have picked up, I have problems with some Meade UWA and long Panoptics.

Bed time, good night, I have been up since 0500hrs

Alan.

Alan, I was talking about using my Pentax 14, while recommending the 14mm Delos as one for Danny to consider, since he wants to stick to a single manufacturer and has settled on Televue.

I also wanted to stick to a single manufacturer, and chose Pentax as the best fit for me (I've never been one to follow fashion so didn't need much encouragement not to go for Televue) I have since reconsidered and currently have eyepieces from Pentax, ExSc, Vixen, Meade, Fullerscopes...and TeleVue :o

Are the Delos range par-focal ?.

Some are and some aren't so I guess its safe to say as a full range the Delos are not par-focal.

Par-focal EP's just dont bother me one bit to be honest though as I'm always fiddling with the focuser in some way or other. :)

Some are and some aren't so I guess its safe to say as a full range the Delos are not par-focal.

Par-focal EP's just dont bother me one bit to be honest though as I'm always fiddling with the focuser in some way or other. :)

It doesn't bother me to much either - the Ethos range vary a lot but I still love them :smiley:

At high power though it is a "nice to have" to switch eyepieces and find the object still in pretty sharp focus though.

As I said a bit back I wasn't sure as to them being par-focal. What I have noticed though is the 5.5mm Meade is par-focal with the Naglers T6 9mm ( I think ) and it is also parfocal with one of the Delos range. This is not going to stop the world spinning but I though it merits mention.

John,

Just a point, the focuser on the 190mm M/N is so poor that you almost always move the sleeve when changing eyepieces, so it don't really matter if they are par-focal, you almost always have to re-focus. I don't know if the SW Newt 's Dob's are the same but for a 1000 pounds scope I think it is poor, it has such good optics it is a shame. If you are using a 35mm Pan it collaspes under it's own weight in an upright position.

I was thinking of putting a Moonlite on but that is a 250 quid upgrade and then I need to buy a collimation device. ( which I probabley need anyway). The only scope I have never had a grumble at is the APM but that was a good deal of cash.

I have had my early morning moan now I am set for the day,

Alan.

Given that he has 24mm (50x ?) is a 14mm (85x ?) all that much use? :evil:

I'd probably pitch it more in the 10 or 11 range, nice Nagler T6 or ES82 11mm perhaps :lipsrsealed:

I have a 26mm and a 20mm which give 25x and 32.5x respectively, but the 20mm does get use because it has a slightly darker background, as has occasionally bagged me DSOs that the 26mm hasn't (with averted vision!) ;). Magnification is unimportant really, it's all about the exit pupil :).

are you sure it just doesn't need adjusting Alan? there's a large grubscrew in the middle of underneath near the silver lock bolt. if you tighten this a smidge then it will probably solve your problem?

I haven't had a problem with my focuer on my SW newt. I just keep the thumb screw fairly tight.

CJ,

If I tighten it even just a little it stops moving altogether, this is making me think it is a duff one. I know I have a great deal of gear but I am alarmed at how much duff stuff I have received over the last 18 months to 2 years, still I can't blame TS for this one. I think I may well take it apart and operate. BTW all the duff stuff was Made in China.

I was thinking of getting a Moonlite for it, but it really needs a bigger mount and instead I was just thinking of getting rid. The focuser just makes the bigger mount more of a must have, which is a shame as it is very good optically.

What happened was I have a catalogue of Skywatcher 2010 and on the front was the M/N 190mm on a HEQ5 Pro, like a fool I believed the picture. Sadly I was not a site member at the time and didn't ask expert advice from you all, something makes me think no one would have said " buy it ", the scope that is as I already had the mount.

Alan

Just found something that may help the focuser, there is only one grubb screw underneath and this seems to be the lock. However in turning it upside down I have seen a countsunk allenscrew, which I have not seen before, this seems to tighten things up somewhat having had a play. So yet again SGL members seemed to have solved a problem on an eyepiece thread too.

I will try it tonight as the sky it clear

Thanks,

Alan.

If you tighten up that allenscrew it will be fine. Every time I think there is a flaw in my scope it is normally because I have missed something. My mount however is another deal altogether as I've had to get the tool box out several times to sort that thing out!

I feel a bit of a nit wit really, it is only because it is on is packing pieces the other way round for some reason that I even saw it. Anyway it is still sitting there with a 41mm Panoptic in the focuser upright and it hasn't moved. So it looks like it was a Potts inspired problem and not SW. Anyway it pays to talk, where have I heard that before. I can blame instruction there were none.

Time to put it outside for a test drive.

ALAN.

CJ,

Yes we may have all done such before but I seem to be doing it a great deal. I think half the problem is I need glasses for close-up and I only put them on if I'm reading, so unless it is about 3 feet away I can't see it very well. Getting older nothing works as well as it did.

Still that sorted now, thanks,

Alan.

I think half the problem is I need glasses for close-up and I only put them on if I'm reading, so unless it is about 3 feet away I can't see it very well. Getting older nothing works as well as it did.
Yup! That, in nut shell, is what I do too.

I have two pairs of glasses with Pentax multicoated glass (polycarbonate?) and how often do I wear them? The thing is, my mid-forties eyes have only very mild astigmatism and the benefits of wearing them at the scope are outweighed by the disadvantages. My close focus seems to have drifted from a a foot to two, which the focuser compensates for. My high res computer screen is still clear and the 50" plasma is 12' away. In practical terms I don't need to wear them and yet I deny the fact that my eyes feel knackered by ten in the evening.

If I know there is a night of clear sky ahead, I must train myself to wear them during the day, whether I think I need to or not.

Russell

Archived