Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

24mm Panoptic

Daniel-K

If the Pentax 10mm is a little too hard to come by or you just want one brand of eyepiece, I can understand that, why not consider the 10mm Delos, therei s nothing in the difference in performance that should bother anyone. Having now looked at your scope details I would consider something a little shorter around 7-8mm before the 11mm if I am honest.

Alan

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a 10mm and a 15mm 82 degree eyepiece but I've always fancied a 12mm as it'd give 100x magnficiation. Something about that strikes me as a nice round number. The others giving 120x and 80x respectivly, would you buy an eyepiece to fill a 40x gap?

12mm Nagler, mmmm

I've got a 10mm and a 15mm 82 degree eyepiece but I've always fancied a 12mm as it'd give 100x magnficiation. Something about that strikes me as a nice round number. The others giving 120x and 80x respectivly, would you buy an eyepiece to fill a 40x gap?

12mm Nagler, mmmm

Yep!

If I could sneak the purchase past my penny counting other half :p

I've got the 7 and the 11 nags - the 7mm I found a little too much magnification on most nights with the 6SE, but on the 925 it's perfect, so sounds like something 7-8mm would be perfect for you for high mag viewing. But then the 11mm is a fab piece too.... hey, why not get both?!! :)

12mm Nagler, mmmm

Being a bit of a must have freak I have on more than one occasion filled even smaller gaps, but if I am looking at it with a different pair of eyes no it is not really needed. With X40 gaps I would have said was ideal.

Alan.

well im going to have to make up my mind soon as im going camping 5th august to the lynn peninsula camping hopin for dark clear skys so im going to need a highish power EP to go with the pan. i take it telescope house is the best place to order from for televue?

just spoke to Telescope house and the think i should go for the 9MM Mr Nagler over the 10MM Delios any thoughts?

The Delos will be a slightly better performer in terms of light transmission and light scatter control I would have thought. Depends how much you want that 82 degree FoV I guess. The Delos eye relief and soft, adjustable eyecup might make it an ultimately more comfortable eyepiece to use.

to be honest i found my self lost in panoptic, Fov is not a real biggy for me more about the quality of the image im getting to my eyes although i do like to see a bit of sky around an object

The 9mm T6 will give you a boost in mag over the 10mm delos and more sky in your eye so to speak but the delos as John has said will perhaps provide better contrast and detail due to it's better scatter control and transmission rate. To be honest I am perfectly happy with the fov of my 68 degree 24mm ES. I can see benefit however in having greater fov in the 24mm lenses to better frame open clusters and neblae etc.

When it comes to planetary EP's I'm perfectly happy with the tiny 40 degree fov of my ortho's as they offer better scatter control and contrast than similar FL plossls and as I'm only looking at the planet disc which occupies very little of the fov I don't feel I need any more than 40 degrees.

When it comes to choosing between the two EP's you've mentioned you really are talking about picking one of two gems and the performance difference will be small.

Personally when it comes to planetary EP's I prize contrast and clarity of detail of fov but you won't be disapointed with either EP :grin:

I'd go for the 10mm Delos Dan, otherwise you'll always wonder just how much better the Delos is compared to the Nagler!

I have the 8mm/14mm and 17.3 Delos and all of them are absolutely superb!! I also have a 10mm Pentax XW but I wish it was another Delos. :)

The Delos will be a slightly better performer in terms of light transmission and light scatter control I would have thought. Depends how much you want that 82 degree FoV I guess. The Delos eye relief and soft, adjustable eyecup might make it an ultimately more comfortable eyepiece to use.

On the money John as ever, I have both and 100% agree with what he has written.

If I could turn back the clock though I would have got a 10mm Ethos and an 8mm Delos and not the other way round, still I am in England soon so I can always put that right, at a cost.

Alan

i think she would slap me if that came to the door lol, the delos is a push as it is . i will be changing the babys nappy's for months after this lol :D

Not going to make the obvious joke.... :lol:

I'm sure you'd be happy with either, but go for the Delos, eye relief is always welcome (sub 20mm of course :))

Archived