SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

24mm Panoptic

Daniel-K

she dernt ask for clothes when we moves into this house 18months ago i had fitted wardrobes fitted in the house to accommodate all of her clothes!! i worried that the 8mm would give to much Mag? thats why i was going to go for the 10?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan,

I know it is personal taste but you have a 10 inch scope and an 8mm will give you a magnification of X150, that is excellent Jupiter power, about the best globular cluster power and would also be be a good doubles power. I am not a magnification addict but for me X150 is well within the ability of the scope and the seeing that you get most of the time. Trust me you should be able to work with X180-200 most of the time with this scope and on good nights even more.

Alan.

I think you have made the right call, if not I am glade I live 2000 miles away. Seriously, this will be a fine eyepiece and one you need never worry about changing. Little is better than this if at all and then any differences can be just down to everyone having different eyes. As I said before I wish I had bought this one instead of the Ethos, I think it was a sick of waiting for the others to hit the market so I bought the Ethos.

Alan.

Jabberwocky,

Well I have to say that is the first time I have heard anyone that likes to have his eyeball stuck to a glass element of any eyepiece. It just goes to show how different we all are when it comes to these little devils. A person wearing glasses though has to choose EP's with a longer eyerelief. I do find it a little difficult getting my eye in the correct place sometimes, the New Delos range are difficult until you read the instructions and use the lift-up and lockable eye-guard, then it is easy. Who needs instuctions, we are men.

Alan

i don't like long eye relief, if i cant rest against the eyeguard rather than hovering above the ep then its not for me, I don't wear glasses so prefer short eye relief.

I can't give advice on that as my scope do not need one, Moonshane has one and I am sure he will put you right. Lets hope you get some clear sky with it so you can see how good it is, Jupiter will be fantastic with that and when you get a chance on a good size globular like M13 or M3 try it, it will come alive.

Jabberwocky,

That was what I was saying it would not do for us all to be the same. I find with short relief EP's my eyelashs get in the way. I have paid for a 6mm BGO from FLO today so I will be joining you.

Alan.

the best view of globs ive had was through my friends 12" which gave better views then the 16" i was using with a 12mm SW EP but saying that i had a 9MM BGO which i got for £7 and gave me great views of small globs in the 16.i have never spent more than £80 on a EP and this week i have bought 2 TV's for 5 times that price lol, Globs are one of my Fave DSO objects after Galaxys. just hope i get to use them sometime. i always thought that the WIDE FOV came with just 2" EPs im shocked just how big the FOV is in these 1.25" EPs

Grrrr this thread is sparking a new round of eyepieceitus, I thought I was over it, I know I need a 6 mm but now hankering after an 8mm now as well, I can get by fine without either but you know how it is, they sort of call to you.

Congrats Dan, I'm sure the Delos will be great in your 12" :cool:

+1 to Allan's post on this, 150x - 170x is a great range to be in for Jupiter and globs... last time I clapped eyes on Jupiter with my C11+Ethos 17 (165x) I didn't feel the need to switch to a shorter FL, it was soooo detailed :eek: Delos is just a narrower Ethos, bicbw!

There have been very wide field EP's in the 1.25" size for years but the really clever bit is to produce one that will show sharp stars right across the field of view even in a fast scope. Tele Vue are the masters of that :smiley:

The Ethos are 1.25" eyepieces until you reach the 17mm focal length.

I just received a 14mm Delos today and it is really high quality.

The twist adjustment thing works well after having a quick play with it but the thing that caught my eye was the diameter of the glass hole that you look into - it is HUGE!!

Alan

its a 10 :undecided: glad i bought it to be honest other wise i wouldn't have had all this spare change for EPs. but im dying to get my 16inch mirror finished. BTW id like to say thanks to everyones input on helping on my way to bankruptcy :grin: im sure it will be worth it. i think i may need to get a moonlite as the EPs are going to look out of place in the R&P

Grrrr this thread is sparking a new round of eyepieceitus, I thought I was over it, I know I need a 6 mm but now hankering after an 8mm now as well, I can get by fine without either but you know how it is, they sort of call to you.

I hear that, in the last 30 days I've bought 4.7mm, 6.7mm, 10mm, 15mm, 18mm & 24mm - 82 degree eyepieces. Should think about getting a new case when the 3 in the post arive.

Well it is a lot of money but the 13mm Ethos is really a 1.25 inch eyepiece though it has 2 inch fitting, you would be amased at how much sky that will show. EX SC also do a 14mm version so that should show more. I love the globulars too one of my favourite is M107 it has a little 11th Mag cross around it, it is only faint though.

Alan

I hear that, in the last 30 days I've bought 4.7mm, 6.7mm, 10mm, 15mm, 18mm & 24mm - 82 degree eyepieces. Should think about getting a new case when the 3 in the post arive.

I swear I must buy stuff more regularly than I get to use it :eek::D:evil:

its mainly going to be used on the the Globs, i like the tiny NGC ones. hopefully now i have a a dob i can go to dark sites a bit more often. obviously im going to need to fill the gap though in between the 24mm and 8mm time to put some money away for next month :D

A 14mm Delos will fill that gap nicely :D

I have been using my 14mm XW a lot recently. I used to consider it the weakest of the range, but looking back through my observing log and sketches and they are almost all best with the 14mm.

Archived