Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Caster wheels for roll of mechanism

stem1989

Not sure which is better, solid nylon ones as in your suggestion or ones with rubber tyres which is the type I have used. I've only just completed my observatory so it is early days yet but they seem to be working fine - they run along an aluminium u-channel.

These are the ones I used: http://www.screwfix.com/p/rubber-tyres-fixed-75mm-pack-of-4/50880

They do a 100mm version if you prefer a larger wheel diameter: http://www.screwfix.com/p/rubber-tyres-fixed-100mm-pack-of-4/93337

I agree. I think it's small wheels and those with a rubber tyre that are best avoided.

Hi James,

Could you explain a little why the rubber ones should be avoided. As mentioned I've used them and would be interested to know if there is a potential issue. A few others who've documented their builds on this forum have also used rubber wheels, which is probably why I went for them. I don't recall seeing any reported problems but it would be useful to know if there are good reasons not to use them.

Hi James,

Could you explain a little why the rubber ones should be avoided. As mentioned I've used them and would be interested to know if there is a potential issue. A few others who've documented their builds on this forum have also used rubber wheels, which is probably why I went for them. I don't recall seeing any reported problems but it would be useful to know if there are good reasons not to use them.

My understanding is that the rubber wheels can develop flat spots where they've been in the same position over a period of time.

James

I have pretty much the same wheels as those linked in the OP, they're fine.

A possible solution for rubber wheel users might be a small ramp or wedge at the end of the roofs travel intended to raise it slightly to take pressure off the wheels when it's in the closed position?

A possible solution for rubber wheel users might be a small ramp or wedge at the end of the roofs travel intended to raise it slightly to take pressure off the wheels when it's in the closed position?

Thanks for the explanations - perhaps the rubber wheels may benefit from being slightly rotated in situ every so often to spread out the compression effect?

I'll just have to see how they go over the coming months/years. As mentioned the roof has been in place for less than 3 months so early days yet.

Just bought some nylon ones slightly different to the ones I posted 80mm diameter but 150kg load capacity each so 8 of them will do nicely as the shed roof isnt that heavy! Thanks to everyone for the input.

Have to agree with James so the answer is not to let them stand for weeks on end.

Jim

Agreed. I have rubber ones and they tend to roll over lumps etc easier than solid wheels. Just rotate them a little every few weeks, to prevent a 'set' taking place.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

I changed my rubber ones for metal ones and the amount of stiction is greatly reduced both when getting them moving (particularly after a while idle) and keeping them moving.

Helen

I use those above (from screwfix) and, after three years, they are still perfectly OK. They run on wooden supports with a single wooden guide strip on the outside of each sides wheels. They have survived two pretty rough winters and the heat of our summers as well!

I use those above (from screwfix) and, after three years, they are still perfectly OK. They run on wooden supports with a single wooden guide strip on the outside of each sides wheels. They have survived two pretty rough winters and the heat of our summers as well!

That's reassuring to hear - nice to have a long term review on such things.

I have hard rubber wheels no problems (so far). My only suggestion might be to have a larger number of slightly smaller wheels (100mm is quite big). From memory I think I have seven 50mm wheels down each side. The logic being that a larger number of wheels spreads the load and makes the roof roll smoother.

I've had my obsy ROR on for well over a year now and my rubber tyred 4" (100mm) wheels are still working fine. I can move my roof with a couple of fingers (though I generally use my full hand :D ) No sign of any flats on the wheels.

I've used the nylon ones and the rubber ones. The nylon are certainly better because they roll more easily and don't collect embedded stones. Six nylon wheels have been carrying a fairly weighty steel framed full roll off shed for ten years without difficulty. In the early days this included not being moved for a couple of months at a time. In any event the rubber ones on the roll off Dob-house are going strong after seven years as well. Since these are full roll offs they run on the ground and collect gravel which I occasionally sweep out.

On the two other observatories which have rolling roof-and-sides the rubber ones don't collect embedded gravel.

Having said all that, what I'd try next time would be inverted wheels. That is wheels with a half round female section instead of a male 'tyre' shape and these would run on semi circular male steel rails. They are sold for rolling garden gates and wouldn't fill up with rainwater or freeze in winter.

Olly

Archived