Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Leo Triplet

stevetynant

Last night I went to a great dark sky location with a mate from work, North of the Brecon Beacons in Mid Wales. Right up until the last moment it was touch and go whether we actually went with BBC and MO showing clear skies but Met Check and NetWeather showing 90% cloud and 10 mph wind. In the end I just focussed the Mark 1's North and took a chance- great decision 3 and a half hours of fabulous observing.

The query I have though is this - I wanted to add the Leo triplet to my list - I'm pretty sure I know where it should have been and had no trouble finding my other targets in the night. I have an 8 Inch Newtonian used a 31mm 2Inch Baader Aspeheric but only came up with one very faint patch of fussiness in the centre of the eyepiece.

What am I doing wrong here - do I need to be using a filter of some kind, is 8 Inches not enough aperture or am I just unrealistic in my expectations of what I should be able to see.

I'm hoping for a few more chances to get this right before my season ends for this winter so any help much appreciated.

Steve

Steve

I know this is no help or comfort but I got M65 & M66 from my back garden using a 31mm aspheric and CPC800 SCT. I could not make out the other NGC(whatever number) though!

I cheated and used GOTO to find them and you have my respect for trying manually :)

M65 and M66 were pretty obvious in the eyepiece and I got them both in the same frame (I did not need movement to see them) - The sky was not black if that helps.

Alan

Makes me feel even more useless at this than I already am Alan lol - thanks for the input though at least I know it should be possible with the gear I have and from the site I'm using - it was only a few minutes I tried and gave up far too easily but you've given me the confidence to try again, much appreciated.

Ive got a 6 inch and posed a similar question after several attempts to bag the trio, i was told to go to dark site you have but then use my 18mm BST rather than my 32mm as the magnification would help im going to try this.

You'll need a bit of good seeing to see NGC3628 to complete the triplet. If you get the trio , then you're likely to get Leo2 and the other galaxies in the constellation.

Easier and brighter is NGC2903, even from light polluted sites,

Nick.

I have spotted the triplet with my C8 and Nagler 31T5 (a.k.a. the Panzerfaust), and before that with a 6" F/8 Newtonian with 40mm Kelner. You really need dark and transparent skies. Slight haze will kill viewing galaxies more than anything else. Filters do not help, as a rule. When it is really dark and clear I could see hints of the dust lane in NGC 3628

Hi Steve

M65 and 66 are quite close - so they should have been both in the same field, from this sketch with a similar setup will give some idea of scale, ngc3628 is much more diffuse though which is well shown.

Trio in Leo - Messier 65,66 sketch - Deep Sky Watch

This other leo triplet is 'easier' to observe as a triplet as ngc3384 is more stellar.

Google Image Result for http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/images/2005/img2005020402_M96M105.jpg

They are smudges in my 4" refractor - but they are still immense star system, which is amazing !

andrew

Thanks Andrew- thats really helpful I'll refer to this prior to my next attempt. I wonder if its possible I just focussed on M65 to the exclusion of M66 by centreing though it looks like I should have quite easily got at least 2 of the three in the same FOV. Never mind armed with new knowledeg I'll try again lol

Thanks once again

Steve

I had the same problem Steve when i tried to find them a few weeks back. I've found them now with an 8" dob so your aperture is fine. They are actually quite easy to find now i seen them once. I started at the star Zosma (which i suppose would be the hip bone of Leo) then panned down southish to a star called chetan. Then through the finder scope there are three stars below all in a line, a single one, a little gap and two on top of each other. Move slightly to the east when your looking at these and look through your eyepiece and they should be there. I used a 25mm eye piece and they were faint and had to use averted vision. Couldn't make out NGC 3628, but M65 and M66 were obvious. Good luck.

I have an NELM of 5.5 in my garden. I first found these with a 6" reflector M65 and 66 were reasonably clear but I could definitely make out the other (don't know NGC number) galaxy also. If you had an 8" in a dark location, I'm guessing you were in the wrong area. I'm sure you'll find it with 8" and a little persistance!! Good luck.

PS they are very pretty when found..

Barry

I find there are two Leo "triplets", M65, M66 and NGC 3628 and also M95, M96 and M105. I find I usually need to remind myself where they are in Leo but on a good night I've been able to see all of them with my 4" refractor and a low powered eyepiece. An 8" scope will show them better of course.

Thanks Andrew- thats really helpful I'll refer to this prior to my next attempt. I wonder if its possible I just focussed on M65 to the exclusion of M66 by centreing though it looks like I should have quite easily got at least 2 of the three in the same FOV. Never mind armed with new knowledeg I'll try again lol

Thanks once again

Steve

M65 and M66 are of similar magnitudes and surface brightness. NGC 3628 should appear as a more diffuse (and feinter) elongated ellipse on an East West plane. In any reasonable sky, all three should be possible although the NGC may require a bit of patience and averted vision.

M95, M96 and M105 are slightly farther apart but there are one or two other nearby galaxies which may be possible.

Happy hunting!

• 1 month later...

Image1_zps3b06b4d6.jpg

shot of the triplets a few days ago. image prosessing is my weekness at the moment tho. not a clue what im doing after stacking.

anyone want the tiff to work on they are more than welcome. just pm me.

and can some plz plz plz tell me how to thumbnail my pics.

I had a quick look for the Leo Triplet the other night but was unsuccessful. I know where it is and the scope was aligned properly. Maybe my eyes were not properly adapted & there are a couple of streetlights shining into my garden which doesn't help.

Any such light pollution will make it more of a challenge. I've been having a look over the last few weeks and although It's been 'clear' deep sky stuff has been a bit of a struggle - perhaps due to moisture in the atmosphere? Saw only M65 M66 last night but last week barely or nothing at all - in better seeing conditions they are readily seen. Keep trying though, may only be puffs of smoke but what you are seeing are truly amazing !

andrew

Archived