Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lenses for Skywatcher

I have recently had a Skywatcher 130 telescope ,I have viewed the moon and Jupiter and was amazed. The 3 lenses that came with it are the Barlow ,super 25 wide angle long eye relief and a super 10mm . I just wondered if there any other lenses that would just get me a bit closer to jupiter ,i can just make it out withe three moons . Any help would be gratefully recieved again having helped me already.

Mark

I would think that a 5mm eyepiece will give the most usable magnification for your scope with Jupiter at 130x. this would be the equivalent of your 10mm plus barlow. I think that obtaining a better quality 10mm might be a good way to go. if you don't wear glasses the 10mm BCO would seem a good choice. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-classic-ortho-bco-eyepiece.html

I've just sprung out on a couple of those BSTs, based on their high value for money and good reviews. I'd also advise you to take a look at your Barlow to see if it is performing adequately. My SW Barlow was pretty unremarkable - I've read that tightening up the lens element may help, if it is a bit loose. I ended up tossing the lens on mine and now use it as an extender for the webcam.

I bought a used Celestron Omni and after giving it a good cleanup and check, it is performing very very well. Not bad for a £25 investment.

I will add another thumbs up for the BSTs, I have the same scope and the 5mm, 18mm and 25mm BSTs. Superb quality, great views, very happy with them. Have yet to take the 25mm for a spin but will post a review once I have. I struggle to put the 18mm down as it its a quality mid-low power EP, M81+82 fit very nicely in the FOV and M34 was very easy to view. The 5mm I use for good conditions on Jupiter, Saturn and the moon atm, but it is on the limit of what the scope can cope with, I wouldn't recommend any more magnification.

I will probably eventually get the entire set, I'm a sucker for having complete sets and at ~£47 you can't go far wrong.

Just to back up what has previously been said, the BST ep's are great value. I recently bought one to replace the stock SW 10mm. Not had much chance to really test it out too much due to the weather but had a couple of clear nights recently and was blown away with my views of the moon. So much better.

Hi guys, sorry complete beginner at all of this.

Would the BST EPs work well in a SW 200p dobsonian? Been looking to upgrade the standard EPs but struggling to find good value for money. Thanks

Hi there, yes, the BST's will work very well in your 200P.

I also have a Skywatcher 130mm scope that came with 10mm and 25mm EP's. The 25mm is fine. The 10mm is not so good (this is a very common complaint).

For observing planets (mainly Jupiter and Saturn), i use an 8mm EP. My personal choice is the Vixen NPL, but the BST's seem to be a more popular choice because they offer greater eye relief.

Archived