Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

eBay scope - what's the attraction?

skir

sns sounds like Scopes and Skies, their name has often been abrievated to sns.

As they are a combination of 3 or 4 companies it is quite possible that at some time they produced their own scope.

May have been produced by or with Astro Engineering.

At 77mm and 910mm if the lens is reasonable the CA should be minimal, will depend on where the lens came from, they will have bought one in for making it, if it is the sns who I suspect.

SnS are now up the A10 north of Ely, moved recently, which was the last location they had.

Lens looks like a seperated doublet, there are spacer tabs visible, although the coating looks as if it is close to non-exostant.

Eyepieces look like Huygens design, wonder if they are 0.965 inch. If 1.25" then swap for decent plossl's.

Interesting scope in a way, lot depends on the lens.

That's a nice classic, Japanese made refractor.

The smaller makers stamp is the thing to look out for on the name plate, rather than the name itself.

An upside down Y in a circle suggests Eikow, as the manufacturer.

Should be a nice lens, if it's in good condition.

Era? I'm not very good at dating these old fracs. 70's-80's?? Earlier?

Andy

I've no intention of buying it, I was just intrigued as to who it was made by,it's age and why it was getting so many bids.

Sorry, wasn't referring to anybody personally. Like you say, it's intriguing who is interested in such a dino scope and what their purpose would be.

It looks similar to the old Swift brand refractors from the 1960's. I do "get" refractors but I'd not pay that much for it. I can see something that looks suspiciously like mould marks on the inside of that objective.

Sorry, wasn't referring to anybody personally. Like you say, it's intriguing who is interested in such a dino scope and what their purpose would be.

no worries :smiley: , I thought it might be made by a very well thought of company or something. Looks like it may just be down to an ebay 'bidding war' :grin:

The one I have at home is a 3 inch from memory (only used it a couple of times, it was hand-down from a family member), I'll have to check the model number out when I get back. As I remember it gave me some nice views of the moon and Jupiter, the optics seemed pretty damn good to me.

it has a short mount and stand which is I guess designed to be used on a table top. I think in its life it's been used no more than a few times (so far). I think I'll still use it even now I have my new scope.

Archived