Another nube

Mustang Warbird

Helllo All,

My name is Mark & I live in the North East of England (Sunderland).

I've always been interested in astronomy and had my fair share of "toy" scopes but ever since I got my first digital camera, I've been fixated with taking the perfect moon pic.

(I used to think I was a loony - my wife and kids still do)

This week I took delivery of my shiney new Starwatcher Skymax 127 Goto and was lucky enough to have a clear night to point it at the moon - now I'm really hooked.

My first photo attempts with my Nikon D3100 were less than impressive though so here I am to further my education.

Nice to meet you all

Cheers

Mark

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL

I took all these images with a DSLR (Canon 450D) on the back of a 127 Mak like yours:

http://www.tanstaafl.co.uk/solar-system-images/the-moon/

so there's no reason you shouldn't get something worthwhile with your Nikon. What you really need to start out is a T ring for the camera and a programmable timer. I use a laptop to control my camera, but the principle is the same. I take around 100 to 120 frames in quick succession and using a combination of AstroPIPP and Registax generate a single frame from the best of those. It's a bit more tricky with the Nikon as the software support isn't as broad, but the problems aren't insurmountable.

Oh, and look up the derivation of "loony" :D

James

Hi Mark and welcome to SGL, although you may be down the line a bit with your digital photography, you may find a copy of Steve Richards book "Making Every Photon Count" see FLO top of page, helpful in your endeavours with AP and your new scope :)

John.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone

Great pics JamesF.

I'd already downloaded Registax just hadnt tried it yet.

My main problem is focussing - everything looks fine in Live View, but not in the finished pic.

After reading your post I did a search and found a control program for Nikon cameras.

It's here if any Nikon owners are interested http://www.smtether.com/

And thanks for the book reccommendation glowjet

Archived