Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First mosaic with IR pass and high res.

long_arms

Hello,

The other night I cleaned my camera, screwed in the newly acquired Astronomik 742 IR pass filter, used a barlow for the first time and got a mosaic of the crescent moon.

I have got a LOT of images to go through. I experimented with extension tubes as well. I am non stop trying to go through them all.

Anyway I have gone through enough images (at focal length 2000mm) to compose this mini mosaic, I have got data for the whole crescent. (Just not finished yet)

To say I am pleased is an understatement.

I know this isnt perfect, a very crude fill for the background and could have some work done to it more, but I am tired. Next time I want to do some specific areas with a 3x barlow also.

Please tell me what you think and any suggestions for improvement.

200p at 2000mm focal length with IR pass and Point Grey Firefly.

Oh and not sure what size it'll be here but here's a link to a large version: Crescent landscape

post-26081-0-39725600-1361045508_thumb.p

Thanks,

Dan

Very nice job Dan - even got my crater (Proclus) in there! Look forward to seeing the full mosaic when you're done processing.

Lots of work in this and I'm not going to go back out again tonight as its annoyingly windy - though might try Saturn again tomorrow am before work if the alarm works and I can slip out without disturbing the kids.

The high res finished mosaic is my wallpaper ;)

I didn't explain it in the post or on flickr as I didn't think people would (care) or be checking out the dpi/ppi but this was the first mosaic I have done big enough to be 300dpi and to print nicely.

Unfortunately the first printers I went to printed it out and it looks horrendous so I'm going somewhere else.

Guess I shouldnt have put it in the title :/ I was a little overexcited when I uploaded this topic about a section of the mosaic.

Dam

Thanks so much guys :)

Im really looking forward to many more lunar shots with the IR pass, definitely need to invest in the skywatcher auto-focuser though, I feel my focus could just be that little bit better. Even with a peg trick I struggle with a barlow.

Dan

I tweaked this one a little today, improved the background and adjust the levels very slightly to finish it.

Here's the finished picture. It may be a tad dark but I like it, looks a bit moody.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90652641@N04/8494480505/in/photostream/lightbox/

(you can select a different size at the top right)

Dan

Great image Dan - I downloaded the 2048 image and really blew it up and had a good look around, lots & lots of detail here up to around 600% before the pixelation became too distracting. Would be nice to have the whole disk at this resolution, but suspect you're already working on this ;)

The seeing I've had from the Island has been pretty poor for the last 4 nights, but the IR-PASS has certainly helped to get the best. I am looking forward to some good seeing to crank the focal length up to F20-25 and try and get some smaller objects/detail.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for all the lovely comments guys :grin:!

What did you use to create the mosaic I wonder Dan?

I cropped the edges of each pane then used Microsoft ICE to put everything together. There were some artifacts so I layered some panes on top afterwards manually.

Amazing pic. Did you ever create a full mosaic at this detail level? :)

Here's the full mosaic of the waxing crescent from the data. Have to say I'm very happy with it :smiley:!

http://www.flickr.co...76187/lightbox/

I'm hoping to get a mosaic of a full moon or even just a half moon with this technique. Obviously takes a lot of time, I may wait until I buy a new camera. Got my eye on the ZWO ASI120mm.

I was wondering if I could put this up on my facebook page? Obviously giving you the credit.

Yeh thats absolutely fine mate! I'd be honoured. :laugh:

Thanks again for the comments.

Dan

Archived