Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any EQ8 News?

RobinW

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just seen it on telescope expres web for 4500eur :( bit too much for me

It's always easier to reduce the price if a new toy doesn't sell, than to raise it if it becomes too popular - that opens you up to accusations of profiteering,

As it is, it's probably wise to sit-out the initial batch, just to let someone else find all the problems (as a new mount without problems is as common as a unicorn with two horns). In a couple of years you'll have a nice, solid EQ8 and you'll have forgotten all about whether you were able to brag on SGL about having the first one :p

• 1 month later...

Much as I hate to shatter anyone's opinion of my efforts so far, the truth is that my involvment with EQMOD derives only from a selfish goal to improve my own mount and observatory.

Whilst I'm happy to share my efforts with fellow astronomers I generally only take on developments that offer a direct benefit to me.

The principles on which the EQMOD Project is based, being free and open, mean that any development costs are paid by the developers themselves. I really can't see where I personaly would find the motivation, or time, to work on EQ8 support.

Chris.

That's fair do's Chris - I don't think anyone has ever doubted your time and effort in getting EQMOD to such a fantastic place. It's a shame that this is not recognised by the large mount manufacturers. They must know that a considerable number of people that use their products use EQMOD as well.

Am I confusing EQMOD with ASCOM drivers? ......

Given the EQ8 uses the same synscan handset then could pc direct mode be a possibility? Like many people I`d really like to keep the great EQMod functionality if I were to upgrade.

Helen

If it uses the same synscan, with the same firmware then you might reasonably expect pc-direct to work. However, if pc-direct works you'd also expect a direct connection to work too - unless of course they've changed the mount interface connections.

Chris

Looks like tomorrow is delivery day for me ...

It's taken a while. Of course it's raining for the rest of the week, as per usual.

Gives me a chance to set up cables for field trips before it goes to the dome.

And have a look at an ascom connection.

Woooooo Ho.

Archived