Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

melsky

M42 Astrotrac

Hi again

We had the promise of clear skies last night so I set the rig up to have a go at M42, it's the same set up as my Andromeda Galaxy Astrotrac image - Canon 300mm F4 L lens on a modded 600D mounted on the astrotrac and 32 frames of 3 minutes each through an astronomik CLS clip filter. Unfortunately high cloud moving in curtailing the imaging run so I had to push the processing more than I would like to eek out the faint stuff.

Mel

8441674657_200aa42d31_o.jpg

• Like 19

WOW! That's amazing - absolutely beautiful and so much detail in there - I love it :)

A good one Mel, a nice large FOV.

I managed to get 2 minutes worth of subs in last night before thin cloud came in, still pushed it for a further 18 minutes but obviously not ideal.

Love seeing these. Makes me want to push the button on getting my astrotrac now!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! this is one of the most amazing shots i've came across, a stunning piece of astro-imaging, very well done :icon_salut:

I've just noticed you've used an Astronomik filters, the second masterpiece i've seen in minutes on here that have used one of these, a great bit of kit :)

Fantastic image, very impressive. Loving the dust!

I love and hate that, since it is so much better than my best attempt! What's the light pollution like where that was taken?

This was taken at the Chipping Norton amateur astronomy groups observing site the Rollright Stones in Oxfordshire, LP not bad there, hopefully Astrosurf will be posting the images she captured at the same time.

Mel

those stars with the 8 spikes are gorgeous. Truly astonishing image when you sit back and realise this is taken by some dude in Oxfordshire with off the shelf bits and bobs!

I dont want that to come across negative - precisely the opposite - this picture is what you expect to see from multi billion $ efforts from nasa! Not what you expect an average joe with a few quid invested in some readily available over the counter gear.

That's great Mel - fantastic FOV.

Excellent colours (especially the teal hues around the outer shell of M42) and lovely rusty red/brown dusty regions extending out to the frame....

I even like the unintentional star 'bling' :smiley: - makes it different from the crowd!

Damian

Congrats on a stunning image which shows what a DSLR matched to a a decent prime lens can do... It's almost like they were made for each other.... ;):)

Peter...