NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Wiltshire

P_Monty

Hi folks,

Just a quick message to say hello.

I've got int this as a keen photographer who started taking pictures of the moon with a standard SLR and big lens and now I want to do some more astronomical photography.

Equipment wise, its a skywatcher 127mm on an eq3-2 mount with a retro-fitted syn-scan goto. I've lurked around here for while to get hints so now I've taken the plunge to sign up and join in.

Cheers

Paul

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL

The 127 Mak is very good for planetary imaging with a fast frame rate camera and for full disc lunar and solar imaging with a DSLR on the back. I'd strongly recommend having a read through Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" if you're interested in astrophotography. It will give you a much better idea of where you want to go.

James

Thanks for the welcomes and tips.

Not sure about the sand though - its heavy enough lugging everything around as it is (Its not a permanent set up) :smiley:

Coincidentally I've just 5 minutes ago finished pouring a load of sand into my EQ3-2! ;)

Mine isn't permanent either but I just got tired of the scope jiggling about. The sand stabilises things a lot, although you're right - weight is a consideration, the sand adds an extra 6 pounds!

Another thing you may end up doing is adjusting the worm gears to remove backlash; I've even done a strip and re-grease on the dec axis, with a lot of help from JamesF's write-up!

Anyway, there's nowt wrong with the EQ3-2, we lot just can't help tinkering. :)

And welcome to SGL from Glos!

Welcome to SGL

The 127 Mak is very good for planetary imaging with a fast frame rate camera and for full disc lunar and solar imaging with a DSLR on the back. I'd strongly recommend having a read through Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" if you're interested in astrophotography. It will give you a much better idea of where you want to go.

James

Hi Paul,

Welcome to SGL from another Wiltshire-ite, Steve Richards is speaking at Swindon Stargazers on February 15th if you are interested, here is a link with directions: http://www.swindonstargazers.com/clubdiary/clubdiary.htm

Archived