Is it really worth upgrading standard eyepieces??

I recently bought a skywatcher 200p dob which came with a 10mm, 25mm and 2x Barlow. This is my first scope so I have no basis for comparison compared to better eyepieces. Is it genuinely worth upgrading the standard ones if so can someone advise me on a few things...

Make

Range I.e 10mm 15mm 20mm etc

Where to buy from

Thanks

Tom

the standart EPs are Ok-ish for begining.not the best not the worse ones.So for time being hang on to them and get used to the scope.For a longer run yes it will be beneficial for you to upgrade them.If you are on a budget and not willing to spend large amounts of money on premium Eps like Tele Vue,then look for Celestron x-cel range or BST range as they get very good reviews,on a bit higher price mark are Baader Hyperions.You need around 3 Eps :high power,medium and low range Alternative is Baader Hyperion Zoom what covers the whole range.There is a sticky thread here about the Eps,suggest you read it.

Places to look for Eps:

First Light Optics,Rother Valley optics,Ebay,Uk astro buysell,classifieds here.

good luck.

Yes it is worth it.

Since you are in WGC you could be close to Alan who runs Sky's the Limit, he sells the BST Starguiders.

If you go to the Hertford Astro Club meets you will either have met him or will do so.

To my mind even if you get the stock 10mm it is worth replacing it.

If it is the f/6 version then 6mm, 8mm, 15mm and 25mm or 30mm - in effect 4 eyepieces.

Hi Tom, it's best to get used to using your new telescope and get to know the ep's that came with the scope, and to get to know what your viewing preference will be - you don't know until you really look, this will dictate which way you want to go as regarding upgrades. There will be plenty of choices later, but for now wait for some clear skies and enjoy your scope.

Like rwilkey says get to know your scope first i spent 6 months first before upgrading my eyepieces but they well well worth it in the end, it did take me a while to decide what to get and i did alot of reading and Robin helped and so did Alan at Sky`s the Limit.

I agree with Robin, wait a while yet. when it comes to an upgrade, I'd personally prefer a used Televue Plossl to pretty much anything in the same price bracket new (other than Baader Genuine Orthoscopics - and possibly the new Baader Classic Orthos) this assumes you don't wear glasses for anything 15mm and below. they really are a 'hidden gem' which many people overlook for the wider field TV's which are quite expensive.

the BSTs are very good though and will be a good upgrade from what you have already.

I'd think a Telrad would be a better first purchase if you have a hole burning in your pocket.

I would most definitely say yes, but as other have said it would be best to give the stock ones a real go first. I eventually replaced my stock eyepieces for Baader Hyperions (as near as I could to the originals, size wise). The jump in clarity and quality was amazing and my first night out with my new ep's I was knocked out by how good they were compared to the original ones. We are not talking a minor leap, but a huge one as far as I am concerned

I will say that I haven't replaced the stock 25mm that came with my SW. As mentioned, these are not the worst EPs you can get and the 25mm is very handy for locating objects. It actually gives a nice crisp view in my scope. It was the medium and high power EPs I eventually purchased (from Skies Unlimited) but feel like I took my time to get it right. This stuff ain't cheap!

Looks from your location that you're in the same place as Alan, who sells my favourite stock EP upgrade, the 60 deg AFOV BST EDs. Great EPs at £47 a pop:

http://skysthelimit.... eyepieces.html

I haven't looked through these yet, but I did just order the 12, 18 and 25mm ones. Supposed to be great value, and I did quite some research on various websites/ forums.

What I CAN tell you is that especially the smaller Plossls are a pain to watch through, so the first thing I did was buy a HR 7mm Planetary and can tell thats is very comfortable for everyone to look through and offers a great FOV. The standard Plossls with 52 fov however are also 90% there imho.

I would say yes it is definitely worth the upgrade of supplied ep's. My first ep upgrade made a great difference (supplied 10mm & 25mm M.A) to Meade 4000's the difference in performance was very noticeable, and worth the sum paid, (got them half price)

+1 for the BST's, excellent eyepieces for the £'s. The trick is to buy ep's that will stick with you and be used a lot too. Good luck.

It's a bit like running shoes...

The basic K-Mart will certainly get you started, and until you really get into some serious training you won't always appreciate the "better/ best quality"

You need to practise training your eye to use the telescope - everyone can see, but not everyone can observe. It's only after a while (6 months +) that you may start to realise any limitations (if any).

Don't buy a set of eyepieces - they look good in the box - and that's where most of them will stay - in the box!

I started with an ol' Ramsden (on a 6" f8), then found a couple of OU orthos which stayed with me for almost ten years. The last change, back in the early 80's, was to the TV Plossls which I still have and use. They will outlast my eyes.

Softly, softly.......

I also say use the eyepieces that you have and get used to them. However, you will probably find that only the 25mm is of much use since viewing conditions will probably not be good enough to use the 10mm very often. Suggest you try the 7 - 21mm Skywatcher zoom eyepiece. This is relatively cheap and will give you 5 eyepieces in one - 7, 9, 11, 15 and 21 - and will give you a chance to discover which powers are best suited to your location. Then go out and maybe buy a good quality, wide angle eyepiece.

I had my scope around 8 months before i upgraded to the xcels. Now the stock 10 and 25 never get used. I still use the 7 when conditions allow, but mainly for the Moon and Jupiter. But its like smashing your eyeball against the EP to see anything. My most used EP is probably the 12mm, followed by the 25.

Archived