Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How often do you guys update your Synscans?

I'll add another view point :-)

I bought my scope and mount in December and updated it before I managed to use it (damn clouds). The latest version of synscan came with a 'dimmable' polar scope led. Very useful.

New software versions always come with added benefits. Either fixing issues or adding functionality.

The upgrade wasn't difficult.

I own a Meade Autostar system for my LX90 and I have never updated it in nearly 10 years and it works fine. I know it's not a Synscan but I have never needed to update it. I have often wondered if I should though but just never did it. Unless I lost functionality I don't see why I should.

Unless someone in Loungeland can tell me why I should update the handset.

I would say the Synscan handsets are very robust when it comes to updating firmware, seems to be few stories about handsets being bricked compared to horror stories with cameras and other hardware which can be very fickle. Also from what I can see you can apply an earlier firmware in some cases if things do not work out, that can rarely be done for camera equipment. Also it is not uncommon for manufacturers to tweak other areas of the update for improvements and not document them ( saves admitting it was not very good in the first place ! ) I have flashed my handset twice in the few months I have had it, all OK and well worth it for the improvements.

Your mileage may vary!

I have had mine mount about 18 mouths, not bothered to try yet, sort of if its not broken don't fix it, also i don't have a PC with a serial connection and not to sure how it all goes using USB ect.....

I updated mine without problems, seems a reliable update system, although the instruction on how to do it are not particularly helpful.

No serial post, used USB with serial adapter.

Archived