Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Wigan

johnnytomorrow

Hi All,

I was given a small Dobson for Christmas from the family (after a few dropped hints) and while the skies were clear over the New Year I enjoyed some great views of Saturn and its moons which blew me away in terms of what I could see from such a modest scope. I am hoping that maybe I can upgrade to something larger during the year so will be scouring the forum for tips and advice on good scopes to move on to, within a budget of course.

I am also a keen photographer and am really interested in combining the two and taking some shots of what I can see in the sky so I am hoping for some good advice from you guys.

Right it's too cloudy to get out so I am off for a mooch around the topics, speak soon.

JT

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL

If you're interested in imaging then you should really get a copy of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count". Astrophotography has quite different requirements from visual observing and it's not easy to find a setup that fits both requirements, but if you read that book you should have some idea of what you're getting yourself into. Penury, mostly :)

James

Welcome to SGL

If you're interested in imaging then you should really get a copy of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count". Astrophotography has quite different requirements from visual observing and it's not easy to find a setup that fits both requirements, but if you read that book you should have some idea of what you're getting yourself into. Penury, mostly :)

James

Hi Jonnytommorrow and welcome to SGL, well done on seeing Saturn as it has been a morning object just before dawn, very low down in the south east at the beginning of the New Year. Download the free program Stellarium, it will help you find your way about the night sky and a copy of Turn Left @ Orion is also very popular among the forum members if you are just stating out in Astronomy, however, Astro Photography is something rather different and you will find Steve Richards book, http://www.firstligh...e-richrads.html highly recommended, as it could well save you money in purchasing Astro gear you may find in the long run you do not use, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Hi Jonnytommorrow and welcome to SGL, well done on seeing Saturn as it has been a morning object just before dawn, very low down in the south east at the beginning of the New Year. Download the free program Stellarium, it will help you find your way about the night sky and a copy of Turn Left @ Orion is also very popular among the forum members if you are just stating out in Astronomy, however, Astro Photography is something rather different and you will find Steve Richards book, http://www.firstligh...e-richrads.html highly recommended, as it could well save you money in purchasing Astro gear you may find in the long run you do not use, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Doh!

Did I say Saturn?

I meant Jupiter!!

Forgiveness please I am new to this.

Ill amend my original post if I can.

Please do not give it a second thought, I had suspicions that it may not have been Saturn because of its position in the sky at the beginning of the month, but it will be something for you to see, as James has said, if you have a clear Southern horizon. Saturn should be visible at a height of about 24° by the end of January. I am afraid you will not be able to amend your original post until your account has reached 250 and then you will have just 20 mins to undertake any alterations :)

John.

Archived