Hello To Stargazers Lounge

Paulturner46

Hello to you all.

This is my first post on here. I have dipped in and out of the site but have finally joined.

I own a 4 1/2" Meade reflector and have done since August 2012. Unfortunately, I have not ha much opportunity to use it for anything other that a bit of star hopping and moon gazing. Working shifts and poor weather have meant that my eye to scope time has not been great.

I have two standard eyepieces but borrowed a friend's eyepieces when he was away. It's included a wide angle EP that was stunning and so am now in the market for one myself.

I have always had an interest in looking up at the night sky, but the passion was truly ignited when my inlaws bought me a cheap spotter scope for Christmas in 2011. This was a Daily Mail supplement special but brought the moon, Orion's Belt and nebula and the Seven Sisters. Along with the, rather blurry, scope came a Planisphere. Once I worked to how to use it I was away. There was as much naked eye viewing as there was under magnification. I looked to the sky and liked what I saw.

August came and, I've a child, I asked for money for my birthday. This, long with some overtime meant I had the funds for a 'proper' scope.

After much research I settled on the four and a half inch Meade. Telescope House seemed the best place to buy and I set off to view and buy it with my son. After much very friendly, helpful service, we returned with the telescope.

Since then, I have viewed the moon, double cluster, a few double stars and some misty patches that may have been DSO or may have been my eyes.

I am on my second set of batteries for the goto mount, although I use it more for tracking than for finding so clearly I have had some use.

My new year resolution is to get out there and view some more of the sky. I'm all ready, with new batteries, warm clothing, my Scope Nights app, several books and a star gazers almanac.

All I need now are those clear skies.

PT

Maidstone Kent

Archived