Hi newbie starting off

Night Owl

Hi

My names Alan when I was younger I never really had much of an interest in the night sky but starting working nights in my early 20s granted im 27 now so not that long, but since than I cant stop looking up and wondering whats up their and my fascination has just grown. Anyway like the title says im completely new to actual astronomy and came across this forum while searching and it seems like a brilliant place for help, info and advise. Ive not got a telescope yet so ill post up in the advice section and see what peoples opinions are.

Thanks for reading.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

welcome Alan , i'm a noob to, this forum is very friendly and will put you on the right track when it comes to choosing equipment or any other advice..

have a look in the social group section you might find a regional club close to you , going to one of the meets will no doubt give you a wealth of knowledge (i havent been to mine yet due to bad weather and a broken ankle)

Hi Alan and welcome to the forum. To help you get to know the night sky better, you might want to download some free planetarium software called "Stellarium" which you can view here. It is very popular among members here and there are a lot of features to help keep you busy when the clouds come in. It can be calibrated to your exact viewing location which is useful in helping work out where all the great objects are and it can also help you identify objects you discover along the way. It even has an advance date/time feature which allows you to examine the night sky in the future to see what's coming up and from where. The sky at a first glance will just seem like it's full of random stars but when you learn some of the constellations, the night will really start to open up for you. Hope you like it.

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum

James

Archived