Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings from north west

fedster

Hi My name is tony am new to all this so please be gentle.

i do work a lot so dont get much time to myself.

after a visit to galloway well 1 night under the stars their and you know why am here :evil:

I do security consults for crimewatch uk ltd.

off a weekend am a raftguide in north wales.

what am after is just a basic telescope and information ideally id look at the planets and some stars for starters but the OH is probably going to want to go photograph mad.

so this is the start for me been looking at the forums trying to gather as much info as i can to get started

cheers Tony

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL Tony

Does the telescope need to be portable?i.e weekends away?A good starter scope is the Heritage 130P Flextube or the bigger Skywatcher 200P dob but these won't be any good for Astro Photography,for that you'll need a scope that tracks the object and that's a whole different ball game!

Welcome to SGL Tony

Does the telescope need to be portable?i.e weekends away?A good starter scope is the Heritage 130P Flextube or the bigger Skywatcher 200P dob but these won't be any good for Astro Photography,for that you'll need a scope that tracks the object and that's a whole different ball game!

i take it the tracking is due to the exposure time ?

again total rank armature <<

would i need a track able mount for just say the odd picture of planets and or wide angle shots of the stars ?

i dont think id be looking at more than a 30 second exposure to start out with :tongue:

Or will i need longer ?

The place to start if you're interested in astrophotography is Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count". That should give you an idea of what you're getting yourself into :) It's quite a different discipline from visual observing.

James

Hi Tony wecome to SGL, you`ll find everything you need to know here mate, best post in the astro threads as i doubt most members visit this part of the forum or the getting started with equipment section.

best of luck.

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum. +1 for Steve Richards book, an essential read in my opinion if your have future ambitions in astrophotography. There are different ways to take an image and much of it depends on the target, namely solar system (moon and planets) via a simple webcam or deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebulae which requires an accurate mount. The book is a comprehensive guide which ultimately will provide you with the necessary overview to help you decide how deep you want to go - and I don't just mean your pockets! :grin: :grin: You haven't stated a budget in your opening remarks and I would certainly include that in any questions you might ask over on the other sections. Consistency is the key and it certainly helps make imaging more about fun than frustration and that does have a small price tag.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum

James

my opening budget for a scope would be in the region of 150 pound right now got some kayaks up for sale though so this could increase.

i dont want to jump in to quick.

thanks all for a really warm welcome.

will post in the other areas as stated

Archived