SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Explore Scientific eyepieces - get them while you can in the UK

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rainy here too, although I've been out tonight at the BBC watching madness :D

Think were in for snow tomorrow. :(

It's a shame that it gets to a point when you have to sell thing on, I have resisted so far I will have to take a hard look at my eyepieces in the future

Could you tell me about your 32mm eyepiece as I have never looked through one ?

Thanks

Doug

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Taking up astronomy requires that you take up an in-door hobby at the same time, which partially explains why it is so expensive.

Tomorrow, I'll be spending a day at the home of Max Townsend listening to, quite fankly, whatever he chooses. Max is one of those people who wrote rule books, rather than followed them. It's going to be like spending a day with Al Nagler, except that cloud will be a non issue. :headbang:

Russell

the ultima lx? It's a good eyepiece, in my SCT it was sharp, but that was f10, in an f5 it's not sharp at the edges

Thanks mate, I was wondering about it, looks a good eyepiece and as my scope is f/10 not a problem :grin:

Oh well, I suppose it had to happen one day. All my ES eyepieces have come from US, or should I say, slipped in under the customs radar :) however, my 14mm 100* ES is sitting in the local post office for me, as long as I bring €57 with me!!! Don't they know I don't pay this? It's disgraceful! Oh well, at €300 all in including delivery its still a bargain, now all I need is a clear gap between it and M51.....nice! That should be in about 7 months......

Barry

Think the next eyepiece I pick up will probably be the 10mm ES 70*, need something to replace the stock one!

Tibbz2, I'm not sure the ES 70* are fantastic quality. I'm not talking from experience but just from reading reviews. Using tapatalk so I can't see if you have a fast scope. Look into it yourself ( no pun intended) there may be better value elsewhere.

Barry

If the ExSc 70 degrees are the same eyepiece design as the William Optics SWANs then your scope might show them up. It's F6 and FLO does state that the SWANs look good in an F6 and slower so you might be ok.

I got my dad a 20mm WO SWAN for his 127 Mak and it's very good in an F15, lots of AFOV for a good price.

Warning

As you are aware I purchased the E/S 14mm 100fov I have today received an additional bill from UPS a invoice for £12.11

as far as I am concerned I paid the bill at the door on the 5th March this invoice state that the £12.11 is for weight adjustment

it states "At the time your shipment was poscessed only the estimated duty and taxes were available ,We have since had the actual import charges confirmed

by HMC customs and the invoice reflects the final conformation of charges due"

and they are giving me 7 days to pay this

Now as far as I was concered I had paid in full at the door the amount on the bill and was about the same as I had estamated to pay now UPS are asking for this

It is not the money £12.11 is not a lot but there are people out there that will find this a problem , so this is why I am sharring this with you all, UPS was proberbly saving money by not having staff to do this job at two or three in the morning

I have looked at the bill -invoice this was for the E/S 14mm 100fov import VAT £52.74 Duty £10.37 brokerage Surcharge £11.00 total 74.11

and at the bottom of the invoice it sates A final invoice will follow where actual charges differ from the estimate so if they over change you you should get a refund , as if that would happen

I had paid $83.00 for postage from the states would like to know what you all think

thanks alot

I've had that from before as well, Doug. Last time, I called them up refusing to pay it telling them the inadequate payment originated through their inefficiency and/or inacurracy of their staff and/or equipment. In the end they waived it but said they were going to blacklist me and never deliver to me again. UPS are second only to ParcelFarce in my list of companies I would choose not use use, but in reality we're at the mercy of the suppliers who they use. Fortunately, FLO use FedEx :D

I ordered something the other day with a different billing and shipping address (home and work respectively).

UPS delivered it to my billing address when i was waiting for it at work.. might have been the sender's fault - i dont know. I wasnt amused though,

Tibbz2, I'm not sure the ES 70* are fantastic quality. I'm not talking from experience but just from reading reviews. Using tapatalk so I can't see if you have a fast scope. Look into it yourself ( no pun intended) there may be better value elsewhere.

Barry

If the ExSc 70 degrees are the same eyepiece design as the William Optics SWANs then your scope might show them up. It's F6 and FLO does state that the SWANs look good in an F6 and slower so you might be ok.

I got my dad a 20mm WO SWAN for his 127 Mak and it's very good in an F15, lots of AFOV for a good price.

Hm I think i'll play it a bit safer for my 200p then... Not sure what to go for though!

Warning

As you are aware I purchased the E/S 14mm 100fov I have today received an additional bill from UPS a invoice for £12.11

as far as I am concerned I paid the bill at the door on the 5th March this invoice state that the £12.11 is for weight adjustment

it states "At the time your shipment was poscessed only the estimated duty and taxes were available ,We have since had the actual import charges confirmed

Now as far as I was concered I had paid in full at the door the amount on the bill and was about the same as I had estamated to pay now UPS are asking for this

It is not the money £12.11 is not a lot but there are people out there that will find this a problem , so this is why I am sharring this with you all, UPS was proberbly saving money by not having staff to do this job at two or three in the morning

I have looked at the bill -invoice this was for the E/S 14mm 100fov import VAT £52.74 Duty £10.37 brokerage Surcharge £11.00 total 74.11

and at the bottom of the invoice it sates A final invoice will follow where actual charges differ from the estimate so if they over change you you should get a refund , as if that would happen

I had paid $83.00 for postage from the states would like to know what you all think

thanks alot

$83 is absolutley disgusting, which is the word I use alot when it comes to the conmen 'running' this country (into the ground......sorry, i'll stop there :mad: ) I'm wanting to import from the usa & after reading this i'm going to find out if it would be better (cheaper) for me to have the gear posted to a friend in France then he can post to me, I dont care if its only pennies i'm saving as it a few less pennies these******** will be robbing from me!! :mad:

Steve

Warning

thanks alot

$83 postage sounds about right for international express delivery. Recently I checked the cost of sending a 500g package to the US and the quote was around £60. The VAT, import duty and handling fee all sounds about right. Your ES100 should cost around $300 plus $83 shipping. Tax and various fee is around 25% of that total, roughly $95 or £65. When you take into account exchange rate fluctuation and the variation on the fixed handling cost £74 is about right.

Which fee did you pay at the door, was it the £74 tax, duty and handling fee or the £12 weight adjustment fee. Did you keep the receipt when you paid at the door?

Anyway, you should contact the seller about the weight adjustment fee and get it reimbursed, because they should have weighted the parcel and paid the correct postage.

$83 postage sounds about right for international express delivery. Recently I checked the cost of sending a 500g package to the US and the quote was around £60. The VAT, import duty and handling fee all sounds about right. Your ES100 should cost around $300 plus $83 shipping. Tax and various fee is around 25% of that total, roughly $95 or £65. When you take into account exchange rate fluctuation and the variation on the fixed handling cost £74 is about right.

Which fee did you pay at the door, was it the £74 tax, duty and handling fee or the £12 weight adjustment fee. Did you keep the receipt when you paid at the door?

Anyway, you should contact the seller about the weight adjustment fee and get it reimbursed, because they should have weighted the parcel and paid the correct postage.

Hi Keith

I have looked at the bill -invoice this was for the E/S 14mm 100fov import VAT £52.74 Duty £10.37 brokerage Surcharge £11.00 total 74.11 paid at the door

Hm I think i'll play it a bit safer for my 200p then... Not sure what to go for though!

How much were you planning on spending? - I've not heard great things about the 70degree ES range. There are very few budget ranges that measure up well.

I can recomend the ES 68 degree EPs. :grin:

There is definitely food for thought with these comments when considering ordering from abroad.

Indeed. It's a pity it has to be considered. As I've posted before, if ES allowed UK dealers to sell here at prices that are comparable to the USA ones then it would not be necessary. But they don't :sad:

Archived