Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Explore Scientific eyepieces - get them while you can in the UK

CrazyJedi

I think the 70 degree FOV range from EX SC were a spin off from the Meade QX reange and that was not the best set of eyepieces to ever hit the shops.

Others,

With regard to ordering from abroad, I do it all the time but within the EU it is not a problem. For me it's the only reason worth keeping it together.

Alan

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In for a penny, in for a pound. Ordered ES82 11 and 14mm from ES in Germany. Shhhh, don't tell the weather man, or my wife

Well done Sam, your making a nice collection of the E/S eyepieces ,is it better to buy from Germany than the USA ?

hoping for clear skies and I won't tell She who must be obeyed :laugh::eek:

The us seem to be out of stock on many focal lengths in the range.

The 11mm ES 82 is $99 which works out with duty, shipping etc to be just shy of £100 but takes 3 weeks, you can pay more for quicker delivery, but somehow that defeats the object

the same EP from Germany is €135 plus €10 shipping, so about £125. So, 25% more from Germany, but delivery is only 2-3 days (I hope).

Seeing as I was having to source the 14mm from the EU as the US is all out of stock of that particular item, I though it was easier just to go to one supplier and pay one lot of postage.

the same EP in the uk is £160, we should rename this thread !

CrazyJedi

I think the 70 degree FOV range from EX SC were a spin off from the Meade QX reange and that was not the best set of eyepieces to ever hit the shops.

Others,

With regard to ordering from abroad, I do it all the time but within the EU it is not a problem. For me it's the only reason worth keeping it together.

Alan

I believe you are right Alan.

The QX range were not the best.

I've only ever ordered from the USA once and my only complaint was the length of time it took to receive my EP - and the Royal Mail handling fee. What is this fee for? Should it not be absorbed in to the delivery charges? :confused:

Congrats on your new EPs, it'll be interesting to see how they behave all the way down at f/5....at f/10 and even my ZS71 the 11mm is a cracker :cool:

Dunkster

I had the 14mm and the 11mm 82* and used them at F5 and 4.5. Once collimated well, which I found made a noticeable difference, I thought they performed very very well. Can't say there was anything bad at F4.5. Now, the 30mm 82* and the 20mm 100* performed less well possibly at F4.5 but again, just less well. I'd say Coma took over at that F ratio. When a CC was used, the views were gorgeous. I still use the CC on and off, but have found myself less troubled by the coma recently. But back to original quote, the 14 and 11mm 82* performed very well indeed at the lower F ratios, maybe they'd go bananas at F4. Dont know.

Barry

Bart - That really is quite impressive for such reasonably priced EPs, IMO.

Dunno what's going on with Royal Mail these days chaps, but when I was building my collection last year, I was receiving them on the 3rd or 4th day after ordering. Unless the postmark really is several weeks old, maybe it's the stock levels that is delaying them, certain FL seem to be perpetually out of stock and you have to get on the waiting list, which is fine if you're not in a hurry to bag a bargain :cool:

Regarding pricing... don't expect the sale pricing in the US to end any time soon. It's just rolled on from summer sale to winter sale to ... :D

In for a penny, in for a pound. Ordered ES82 11 and 14mm from ES in Germany. Shhhh, don't tell the weather man, or my wife

At least you will not have customs duty or VAT to pay if it is sent from Germany.

There is definitely food for thought with these comments when considering ordering from abroad.

ABROAD is a broad term (excuse pun) - totally different rules apply if you buy from within or outside the EU.

How much were you planning on spending? - I've not heard great things about the 70degree ES range. There are very few budget ranges that measure up well.

I can recomend the ES 68 degree EPs. :grin:

I didn't have an exact budget but I didn't want to be spending OTT prices just for the 10mm... The best views for the best price is really what I'm after...

I didn't have an exact budget but I didn't want to be spending OTT prices just for the 10mm... The best views for the best price is really what I'm after...

Tv plossl 9 or 11mm £78 (for the money you can't do much better)

Celestron X-cel LX 9mm £69

Meade HD-60 9mm £86

Baader Classic Ortho 10mm £49

Vixen NPL 10mm £35

What takes your fancy?

I'd second the Meade HD-60 9mm, It was the first ep I bought (to replace the naff Skywatcher 10mm) & its a very nice bit of glass, I find it sharp across the fov in my 200p @ f5, I wear glasses & it has very good eye relief for a 9mm.

Steve

I'd second the Meade HD-60 9mm, It was the first ep I bought (to replace the naff Skywatcher 10mm) & its a very nice bit of glass, I find it sharp across the fov in my 200p @ f5, I wear glasses & it has very good eye relief for a 9mm.

Steve

I have the older Meade 5000 super plossls and rate them very solid performers

CJ

I had almost a set of them at first and I have to say I found them very good indeed, I have had most of the series 5000 eyepieces, I think it was only the 40mm from the set you have and the 18mm UWA. The sad thing I find is they don't hold there money like TV's do. I have just let the 40mm SWA at less than 40% of its new price.

Alan.

CJ

I had almost a set of them at first and I have to say I found them very good indeed, I have had most of the series 5000 eyepieces, I think it was only the 40mm from the set you have and the 18mm UWA. The sad thing I find is they don't hold there money like TV's do. I have just let the 40mm SWA at less than 40% of its new price.

Alan.

This is true unfortunately for the seller... but the buyer can find some real bargains.

I've seen several of your Meade UWA's on the classified boards Alan - some bargains to be had! Looks like you'll end up with just black and green in your EP box :Envy:

I have kept my Meade 5000 plossls as they are excellent work horse EP's good for most things :grin:

Tv plossl 9 or 11mm £78 (for the money you can't do much better)

Celestron X-cel LX 9mm £69

Meade HD-60 9mm £86

Baader Classic Ortho 10mm £49

Vixen NPL 10mm £35

What takes your fancy?

Ah yes forgot about the X-cel series, cheers

:grin: Had first light with my 20es100 degree, and I'm a happy bunny. A slight amount of coma at the edges, but only slight, and tbh expected at f5. There was a small amount of pincushion when panning around the double cluster. Neither of these 'defects bother me, but the 100 degree field at 20mm is an awesome combination. I'm not sure how much better the ethos would have been, but for £280 delivered this EP rocks.

:grin: Had first light with my 20es100 degree, and I'm a happy bunny. A slight amount of coma at the edges, but only slight, and tbh expected at f5. There was a small amount of pincushion when panning around the double cluster. Neither of these 'defects bother me, but the 100 degree field at 20mm is an awesome combination. I'm not sure how much better the ethos would have been, but for £280 delivered this EP rocks.

Stunning value for money at that price, congrats on the new addition :-)

Coma, and yes, that's to be expected. I guess what I'm saying is the EP is pin sharp, but not right to the edge, which is expecting too much ! So I'm not faulting the EP one bit.

If its coma then the only cure is a coma corrector. If it's astigmatism then the eyepiece could be causing that. With my ES 20 / 100 I see a little coma right at the outer edges of the FoV with my F/5.3 newtonian. It's hard sometimes to tell whether the distortions to stars are astigmatism or coma - sometimes it's a bit of both !

They are great eyepieces though - terrific value for money at those sorts of prices.

Archived