Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

January 12, 2013 - Froooozzzzeeeeennn

m_j_lyons

Depending on your point of view this was either a late night or an early morning stargazing trip. After a few hours of sleep my alarm woke me at 12:30am and I headed to the listed Bortle 1 skies just south of Tonopah, Nv, USA (map). When I went to bed the conditions were iffy due to a weather system that was pushing through - but when I woke up the satellite showed clear-enough conditions to warrant getting dressed and giving it a go. I arrived at my desired location and proceeded to setup the scope. The challenge of the night was going to be the temperature which was hovering around 9F (-12C)...I was dressed in sweater, jacket, ski jacket, jeans, ski pants, ear muffs, a hat that covered head and neck, ski gloves, and two hand warmers. Brrrr.

Old Friends. New Observations. Missed Objects.

The Milky Way was visible...but not impressive as I've seen from many other dark locations - a clear sign that transparency wasn't at its best...some of that upper level moisture must be hanging around. M31 was below the horizon but I'm sure it would have still been naked eye. The Beehive Cluster (M44) and suprisingly M67 (averted) were both visible naked eye.

I didn't really go into the night with any set plan on what to observe...I wanted to ID SN2012ht, try to observe the Horsehead Nebula, maybe check on a few old friends under DARK SKIES, and not freeze to death...pretty simple.

After spending some time in/around Orion I realized that my eyepiece was going to be a limiting factor as it was frosting over about every 30 minutes...requiring a defrosting back in the car. Anyway - M42/M43 looked brilliant as usual. The Flame Nebula was just about as visible as I've ever seen it. But tried as I might...the Horsehead eluded me. The jump from Alnitak to the Flame Nebula to HD37903 which is obvious with the surrounding nebulosity. And then to HD37805 which had much less nebulosity in the area. Knowing the Horsehead is w/in the FOV at 110x I started searching but the faint nebulosity that defines the area of the Horsehead wasn't visible. I'd come back numerous times tonight.

Moving over to Sn2012ht the jump inside Leo was easier than expected. I found the right star field in my 110x EP FOV and quickly identified Sn2012ht shining around mag 12.x (it's listed at 12.8 and I'd buy that). Two nearby stars at mag 9.9 and 13.1 were both easily visible and the SN was a pinprick of light (like a very compact star...which sounds funny to say) a touch brighter than the 13.1 nearby star. Victory - SN #8 logged! The host galaxy was NOT visible...and with it listed at mag 15.x that's no suprise...but 'companion?' galaxy NGC 3447a (mag 13.1) was just visible.

I went back to the Horsehead...was able to get faint nebulosity on and off...but never positively IDed the Horsehead Nebula.

Over the next 90 minutes I spent time with some old friends:

M81 - the core was strong and both spiral arms were faintly visible...the lower arm in my EP stood out a littel better than the other.

M82 - shinging as a bright cigar...the dust lane just visible across the center and an unevenness along the central area...hints at more structure present.

M51/NGC5159 - both galaxies showed up well and the spiral arms of M51 were visible...not the best views i've had of the arms...but they were present. The arms did not reach all the way to NGC5159.

M101 - one of my best views of this large galaxy - spiral structure was faintly visible and the core stood out better than I'd ever seen it.

At this point my feet ached from the cold seeping through my shoes, my EP was icing up too often, and my laptop was difficult to use with thick gloves...so I packed up and headed to the warmth of my car and hotel.

I'd love to come back here when conditions allow for more comfortable viewing. It's dark!

Overall - several old friends visited, one new galaxy, and one new supernova...worth some frostnip I guess.

Happy hunting!

M67 with the naked eye. Now that's an impressive sky!

I would struggle to pick objects in such a location because I would want to see everything at its best.

Surely seeing some Horsehead nebulosity counts, even if the famous dust imprint wasn't possible. I tend to count anything I am certain I have seen, regardless of detail (with a 5" scope it is pretty limited).

Thanks for sharing a great report.

Nice report. The horse is elusive but we had a few guys just making it out in the clubs 18" last week. I had to use 2 minutes exposure on my Nikon in my 6" inch to get it...

I'm holding out...right skies...right conditions...maybe I'll bag it. Maybe not. Either way a lot of it is about the hunt anyways.

Michael - I've attached the finder chart that my software produced for SN2012ht - like I said it's not too difficult a hop. The host galaxy NGC3447 was listed at mag 13.9 in my software...I found 14.3 searching the NED calalog - I can't remember where I saw 15.x (I had been up all night when I wrote the log so I'm going to go out on a limb and say I messed up). Either way - I didn't detect it. 3447a - yes, 3447 - no. Cheers - and it's Mike, not Mark (not that you can tell from my username)

post-12014-0-98544300-1358258328_thumb.j

Michael - I've attached the finder chart that my software produced for SN2012ht - like I said it's not too difficult a hop. The host galaxy NGC3447 was listed at mag 13.9 in my software...I found 14.3 searching the NED calalog - I can't remember where I saw 15.x (I had been up all night when I wrote the log so I'm going to go out on a limb and say I messed up). Either way - I didn't detect it. 3447a - yes, 3447 - no. Cheers - and it's Mike, not Mark (not that you can tell from my username)

post-12014-0-98544300-1358258328_thumb.j

Thanks for the chart, and I corrected the name (confusion probably due to just answering MarkC in another thread)

Cheers Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Great report on a nice line up of objects. Bortle 1!!! The Horsehead got away, but isn't there always one thing like that in every session that eludes us despite our repeated efforts? [that cursed M56, should be child's play, right?!]. I've only recently seen the Beehive and plan to check out M67 now you mention it.

I would struggle to pick objects in such a location because I would want to see everything at its best.

I second that statement, especially in my current deprived-of-clear-skies state. I can imagine spending much of the time just looking up!!! There is something grand about the heavens under those conditions and the constellations really seem to come to life.

Archived