Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Televue Radian 6mm

lifeonmars

Hi Everyone

Any one use a Televue Radian 6mm on a Skywatcher Equinox 120 for Planetary and whats the consensus about its performance.

Thinking about picking one up but i have just read one or two mixed reviews about it,whats other peoples experience of using this eyepiece on diffferent scopes.

Any help in making a decision would be greatly appreciated.I am a spectacle wearer but dont use them whilst observing.

Thanks Folks!

I have not used one on your scope but I have used one on a 115mm refractor. The 6mm Radian is an excellent eyepiece and few people will say bad thing about it, I owed one for three years and have just replaced it with a 6mm Delos which in my view is a little better, but not by much. Some people will find fault just for the sack of it, I can't fault any of the range, I have had the 4mm, 5mm, 6mm,& 10mm, I still have the shorter two.

The image it a little more yellow than the Delos, I would not think there are many better 6mm eyepieces and it will be a great addition to any EP case, it has now been discontinued due to rare earth elements shortages that they use to make some of the lenses.

Buy it!

alan.

Hi Alan

Thanks for that information Alan its good coming from someone with a lot of Televue experience .I have never owned any Televue eyepieces before but my gut feeling was go with it. I`ve read lots of good things about the Radians ,but the odd winge by one or two reviewers,another good thing from what I can see ,the second hand price seems to hold up well.I think it might be a nice introduction for me to Televue we will see!

The Radian is the only Tele Vue eyepiece type that I've not owned or used.

Judging by the other models plus the feedback above it's highly unlikely that you will be disappointed I reckon :smiley:

If you can get a used one they hold their value well too - so if it's not for you or you want to move on to something else, you will be able to recoup your investment more or less 100%.

if, of course, the skies ever clear! I have just had a teasing ten minutes looking into sucker holes with the 8mm at 200x on my planetary dob and the views were lovely. it's so frustrating when you can tell the seeing is superb but cannot access it!!

I've used a 5mm Radian in an Equinox 120, had some lovely sharp views with it and I find it very comfy (I don't wear glasses).

The other night, I compared an 8mm Radian with an 8mm Delos in a dob on Jupiter. The seeing was moderate. The Delos edged it for me, I could see more detail, which I put down to it giving a bit more contrast and sharpness. The difference was small, but more than I was expecting, if that makes any sense!

I think the Radian compares well when you take the price difference into account, both great eyepieces in my view. I may have to sell the Radian as it seems daft to have two 8mm EPs, but I will put it off for as long as I can with many tests!

Hi evreryone

Thanks very much for all the feedback on the Radiian,and thanks Moonshane for the offer,its a bit difficult at the minute,a busy time of year for me,but I may pm you when things calm down,i have only had 5 observing sessions with the frac so still getting to know it and build my kit up after a 27 year lay off ,but once in the blood it was only a matter of time before it re surfaced!!

I have a couple of televue ep's, a 5mm Radian and a 9mm Nagler which I both bought second hand cheaper than the equivalent new ES. I've used the 5mm Radian in a ED100, an AR152 and a 6SE (this is pushing the mag way past the reasonable). The Radian does not have the field of view of the Nagler but for the purpose of use that is not a consideration. The lift up eyecup is useful. The views are as described: clear, sharp, contrasty.

I have had the 8 and 10mm Radians for many years, and liked them a lot (also in my F/6 frac). I now use a set of Pentax EPs which just edge the Radians out (much like the Delos). The difference in sharpness and contrast is negligible. The only area in which the Pentax XW and XF are slightly better is in colour neutrality (the Radians are slightly warm in tone) and transmission (the image in the XWs is slightly brighter).

Archived