Hello. New astronomer from Canada

Phaylon

Hey all,

New guy from the toronto area here. The name is Phil.

Have been lurking around this board for awhile and finally decided I should register and get involved.

I have always been interested in space and have always wanted a telescope. FInally almost 2 years ago I went and got a Celestron Nexstar 5SE.

I read up on it a little before I bought it and it seemed like the right scope for me to get started with. Ended up loving it. Really couldn't be more happy with it.

I started out very strong and was out there every clear night trying to learn how to use it, then somehow almost half a year goes by and I hadn't used the telescope at all....

Thankfully that didn't last and I have now become completely obsessed. I intend to really take it to another level this year. I have an Orion Skyquest XT12g on order that I should be recieving soon and I cannot wait.

I love visual observing but I can't help but want to take some pictures of what Im seeing. I know I don't have the best setup for it, but I try anway. Have actually had some decent results, especially with the moon and M42. I actually just decided to put together a little website/blog to help me keep track of my progress and maybe share some of my humble images as I go along. If anyone is interested its at http://spacefiles.weebly.com/ (Called it "The S-Files" a little play on X-Files :laugh:)

I have tried hooking up the DSLR and snapping some photos maybe 15-20 times after observing for a couple hours. So that is where I posted all the first pics that were somewhat decent.

So you can expect to see me around. I have also signed up for some other astronomy forums, so if you guys frequent any other places you may see a similar posts from me popping up elsewhere in the next couple days.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Phaylon, there is an edit function but there is a "qualifing" number of posts. You have to have made 250 posts for it to be active. The site had a problem with people and this was introduced, probably causes to most inconvenience to people but you get used to it, always worth reading carefully what you have written before pressing that Post button. Gets even more screams from people that have a predictive text option. Predictive text and astronomy are not a good combination.

Well another from Canada, don't suppose Near Toronto would be around the London area or one of the many that have a UK town name? Would be amusing having something like London, Canada as a location as well as the others.

Someone may have to suggest a Canadian Social group soon.

Suppose you have never met Warthog at any astro meets.

Hi Phaylon, there is an edit function but there is a "qualifing" number of posts. You have to have made 250 posts for it to be active. The site had a problem with people and this was introduced, probably causes to most inconvenience to people but you get used to it, always worth reading carefully what you have written before pressing that Post button. Gets even more screams from people that have a predictive text option. Predictive text and astronomy are not a good combination.

Well another from Canada, don't suppose Near Toronto would be around the London area or one of the many that have a UK town name? Would be amusing having something like London, Canada as a location as well as the others.

Someone may have to suggest a Canadian Social group soon.

Suppose you have never met Warthog at any astro meets.

Yeah I will have to be more careful. Think the problem was that I wasn't aware I was posting a link and forgot to leave a space.

Oh well.

In MIlton. About 1.5 hours drive away from London. Its not too far at all really. Occasionally have to go there for one reason or another.

I can safely say I have never met anyone named Warthog in my life(you remember that sort of thing), and definitely not at any astromeets considering Ive never been to one before. :grin: Although, I would be more than willing to check one out.

Cant say that I am.....not much of baseball fan. In fact the only sports I really care for are boxing(which I havent been following much lately) and NFL football, and if I had to guess, Id say there arent many nfl fans on SGL :laugh:

So you are a little SW of Toronto, bad news is that I suspect Warthog is around that area, bit more towards Niagra Falls as I seem to recall that being on his signatiure.

So next star party (first) that you attend watch out for for one such person. probably loitering around the beer area I would suspect.

Hey all,. The name is Phil.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge!

New guy from the toronto area here

My condolences :p ; I lived in the GTA for three years. I'm not a big city person; wife is, though.

I was born in London Ontario; I grew up in and near Ingersoll. I have also lived less that an hour from Sussex ... New Brunswick, Canada.

Archived