Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone used Posterpower flat field panels ?

bigal1

Hi all i need to get hold of a flat field panel for my ED80 and came across a company on the web called Posterpower , they do an A5 panel which would be great for my scope and the price is not bad aswell but i was wondering if anyone had any experience using these thanks .

Regards Alan

Link to site

http://www.posterpoweruk.co.uk/page7.htm

Yes I have used them and they were very good indeed. I recently sold up (I'm regretting it now :mad: ) but I would definitely buy another one.

I bought it from the same site you have linked and delivery was very fast.

Thanks a lot its good to know :)

If you have an ipad or similar, you can simply use a blank white screen and it'll work fine.

Rob

I have been doing precisely this. And I am not convinced the flats so produced work properly to remove all artifacts from the image. They are better than nothing but not perfect (or I am doing something wrong but what exactly i do not know since APT decides the exposure in AV mode etc). So I hypothesise is is something to do with the spectrum given off by the iPad panel not giving the "correct" sort of light?

So I was also looking to get a "proper" panel.

The spectrum makes no difference at all....you simply need enough light to get a peak roughly half way up the histogram.

Since I blew up my EL panel (don't ask!!), I've been shooting sky flats.

Can you post a flat you've taken for us to have a look at.

Cheers

Rob

I've bought a panel from Gerd Neumann. Delivery took only a few days from Germany even in the run up to Christmas :) Haven't tried it yet though. Recommended by a couple of imaging experts on here and quite a reasonable price considering the convenience.

The spectrum makes no difference at all....you simply need enough light to get a peak roughly half way up the histogram.

Since I blew up my EL panel (don't ask!!), I've been shooting sky flats.

Can you post a flat you've taken for us to have a look at.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob, here is a thread I asked asking about whether my flats look right. Only Olly replied so I guessed maybe this is a strange issue unique to me. But I cannot see how or why. This is APT controlling the camera in the flats profile and shooting the flat. Do they look bright enough?

Rgds, Steve

Hello Steve. As Olly say's in the thread, you can't tell from this as it's been stretched....we need to see the original image to examine the histogram.

If you have the original file, send it to the email address on my website and I'll check it out for you.

Cheers

Rob

Hello Steve. As Olly say's in the thread, you can't tell from this as it's been stretched....we need to see the original image to examine the histogram.

If you have the original file, send it to the email address on my website and I'll check it out for you.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob, thanks for that - will email you a flat in jpg and RAW when at that computer tomorrow. Thanks for your kindness.

Rgds and HNY,

Steve

If the image in the other thread was taken with a DSLR on an ED80 I would certainly expect to see vignetting. I get plenty of it. I suspect your flat is overexposed. I agree with the other comments.

If the image in the other thread was taken with a DSLR on an ED80 I would certainly expect to see vignetting. I get plenty of it. I suspect your flat is overexposed. I agree with the other comments.

It was Gina......

However, I wasn't selecting the exposure - APT did. Maybe they need me to control the exposure and set at a level lower than that APT auto selects. I have been thinking this and is my next step to try. The foul weather has put paid to my plans for last three weeks :mad:

I looked at this site a while ago too as I could do with a larger panel. I have a Gerd Neumann panel from FLO. The one thing that lets it down is the very poor choice of cable & no strain relief. It's not flexible enough and not the type of cable that should be used on portable equipment. You have to be very careful not to bend or put a strain on the cable. ( I'm guessing thats why FLO stopped stocking them)

I used to do flats with the DSLR using Av mode & Canons own capture software. However, I use Nebulosity and I found I got better results using manual mode with Nebulosity. Keeping the histogram slightly left of centre. This works fine on the ED80 & ZS66

It was Gina......

However, I wasn't selecting the exposure - APT did. Maybe they need me to control the exposure and set at a level lower than that APT auto selects. I have been thinking this and is my next step to try. The foul weather has put paid to my plans for last three weeks :mad:

I use manual setting for flats in APT and set the histogram in Canon's photo software (can't think of the name ATM - comes with the EOS Utility) to about a third to two thirds with preference for one third. My 1100D is in a new environmentally coltrolled box (cooled and dried) and I can't change the Exposure Mode anyway - it stays on "M".

I looked at this site a while ago too as I could do with a larger panel. I have a Gerd Neumann panel from FLO. The one thing that lets it down is the very poor choice of cable & no strain relief. It's not flexible enough and not the type of cable that should be used on portable equipment. You have to be very careful not to bend or put a strain on the cable. ( I'm guessing thats why FLO stopped stocking them)

I used to do flats with the DSLR using Av mode & Canons own capture software. However, I use Nebulosity and I found I got better results using manual mode with Nebulosity. Keeping the histogram slightly left of centre. This works fine on the ED80 & ZS66

My new Gerd Neumann EL panel direct from Germany, has very flexible cables and everything seems very robust. Looks good. May get to use it tomorrow night if the forecast is right :)

I purchased an EL Panel from Ebay (chinese supplier). I was very apprehensive but pushed the button.

Really pleased. Made a frame from foam board to fit both my ED80 & Tal 200K. Works a treat.

It states a working voltage of 110v but works on our 240 volts (It comes fitted with a europlug.)

Link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300803722826?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Oh.. and this is another one I've been looking at.. http://www.earlsmann...s/product/id/10

I got an Earlsmann A5 El panel and a couple of pieces of perspex from the bay. Husband made a wooden frame and hey presto, I have a fantastic light panel for a little over £40. Certainly less than the ready made ones and to be honest I got bored of waiting for FLO to stock theirs!

Archived