Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

£1300 and half way through Making Every Proton Count...

Fordos Moon

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NEQ-6 with an ED80 is pretty good. Expensive mount, cheap scope is what I would say. If it's a frac or a cheap imaging newtonian is up to preference I think. I went with the newt, because the slightly larger aperture will be better for visual use when I don't want to take pics.

Do you already have a DSLR?

You don't need a guiding rig to start with. However a battery tank to power the mount. Check out the maplin ones of atleast 17Ah.

Here's basicly what I go out with nowadays:

*NEQ-6 with Synscan

*SW 6" F/5 newt with finderscope.

*Nikon DSLR (and tripod to snap widefields of my location).

*19Ah power tank.

*White tarp to put the mount on so I don't have to look for dropped items.

*Redlight torch and redlight headlamp.

*Eyepiece case with some EP's, adapters, filters, basic tools, spirit level etc

*Good clothes.

*Heatpacks.

NEQ6 and ED80 is what I went for and I'm very pleased with both. Lots added since then but that's the basis of it all.

+1

The NEQ6 gives bags of options for future expansion for heavier scopes when you're ready to move on in a year or two (if you need to that is; as I have found, the ED80 is a mighty fine instrument and the giants of this forum will tell you likewise).

Surprising how the weight of your imaging rig can mount up. ED80, flattener, guidescope, finder, imaging camera, guidecam etc and I am at the end of my built in weight bar with one counterweight even with a small scope. Move to a Newt or a bigger, heavier refractor and I'll be glad I upgraded my HEQ5 to a NEQ6.

Steve

If cash is tight there really is no need for the NEQ6 for an 80mm refractor. The HEQ5 will handle it easily and is easier to move around. There is no difference in accuracy though if you move to a significantly bigger scope you'd need to change. Personally, for mobile imaging with a small refractor I'd actually prefer the HEQ5. The £200 saved would also get well on the way to an autoguiding setup and that really does make a difference. I get to image with lots of scopes, not always mine, but my favourite is an 85mm refractor.

You've read Steve's book, Making Every Photon Count? (FLO have it.) You should! It will pay for itself ten times over in 'bad buys avoided.'

Olly

I would always say that the HEQ5 is the minimum for AP and an NEQ6 preferable as it is more futureproof should you decide to change you scope. But, if money is tight, the HEQ5 is more than adequate for a small refractor. I use one and it will buzz around happily all night as long as the balance is right, without dropping a sub. If the money you save can be used for guiding then that will get you well on the way to some good results. You just need to decide about a camera now!!

I would save for that and look at getting a CCD (285 Sony chip) that you get on an Atik 16HR for example. The chip size works really well on the 80ED scopes. But that's another thread!...................

As I understand it, with the HEQ-5 and NEQ-6 the pros and cons are fairly simple.

HEQ-5: Pros - Cheaper, more portable, adequate for smaller OTAs. Cons - Limited to about 200mm on a visual scope I think, less for imaging, so if you want a bigger scope you'll need an NEQ-6 or much more expensive mount.

NEQ-6: Pros - Future proof, adequate for larger OTAs. Cons - more expensive, heavier

Both of them aren't as accurate as premium mounts such as the Mesu Mount 200, but that's way out of budget, and probably not the best place to start. (Unless you want to try it with 4400 Euros :))

HTH

If cash is tight there really is no need for the NEQ6 for an 80mm refractor. The HEQ5 will handle it easily and is easier to move around. There is no difference in accuracy though if you move to a significantly bigger scope you'd need to change. Personally, for mobile imaging with a small refractor I'd actually prefer the HEQ5. The £200 saved would also get well on the way to an autoguiding setup and that really does make a difference. I get to image with lots of scopes, not always mine, but my favourite is an 85mm refractor.

You've read Steve's book, Making Every Photon Count? (FLO have it.) You should! It will pay for itself ten times over in 'bad buys avoided.'

Olly

Thats just what I wanted to hear Olly, I've been prattling on about getting the EQ6/EQMOD with the ED80 not knowing wether I'd be even suited to AP, so iv been looking at the HEQ5 & ED80 & realised that the money saved would pay for the Startravel80 & a bit more towards the QHY5 ( although i'm unsure as to wether EQMOD would work with the QHY5, I've heard some people say they've had problems with it?? Anyone know??) if it happens that I dont have the patience for AP then the HEQ5 would be a good mount for a nice big app visual scope.

I am an absolute beginner also on AP, but I took most of the good advice from the experience here and ended with a HEQ5 synscan SW ED80 coupled with a ST80 / QHY5 guiding. If I find that I can not live in the AP world this equipment is well sort after and so at least there is a good re sale market.

A quick look on my local telescope express retailer here in germany gives me a price of around 1440 pounds for this lot.

Yes you will need to find a camera and to be honest you will find a reasonable split in discussion as to weather to go to the CCD world or the DSLR world of photography. Again I am happy at the moment with my canon 1100d non mod while I try to learn the ropes but will likely shift in the future to CCD if I crack all the other areas of difficulty such as processing, guiding, polar alignment, et al.

As all will tell you there are dozens of other bits and pieces that you will either "need" or "desire" to make the hobby more enjoyable or exciting. Some will become more essential as you progress... Flatteners, filters etc but you can put the pennies away for these as you will get on reasonably well without them (unless you have bad light pollution) while the knowledge builds.

One assumes that a laptop is available for all the processing work required which to behonest is at least as complicated to learn as the capturing of the imagines themselves.

Good luck on your choices and I hope you find your road.

Ps. No you don't need to guide , true, but most seem to head that way darned quick. It's prob the first "want" rather than need you will come up against. Also if you re not moving between sites ( I am a true backgarden jockey at the moment ) I have the scope powered from the house mains rather than a power pack which is a fair bit cheaper.

Thanks guys! I am appreciating all the advice. As to camera I am swinging towards the ccd as my mates into photography reckon it will cost me over a grand for a decent canon/Nikon and tbh it's the DSOs that are my ultimate aim.

I am mostly a back garden viewer or at my folks so agree about the power, what a massive journey of discovery astrophotography is and I haven't even bought any equipment yet, just toyed with my 200P dob and a webcam!

I would respectively disagree with your mate. Yes it will cost you over £1k for a good daytime DSLR - But AP is a different beast altogether. Probably one of the best DSLR's for AP is a small Canon, such as a 1000D. People are taking some cracking pics with these little camera's. Regarding camera's for AP you'd be better placed asking on this type of forum what would be suited specifically for this purpose than someone who uses his camera for daytime photography.

Indeed Sara, and if youre looking to spend a grand on a camera you may as well go the whole hog and get a CCD. I still use the 1000d, and as long as the raw subs are properly calibrated - its a great camera for the price. The battery is good too, it will last you about 3 hours - unlike the Nikon I first had which died in under 90min (especially in the cold).

Heh heh, now your advisors are breaking down into factions!! This one says guiding, yes, all but essential after the first couple of images and CCD, yes, go there from the start and miss out the DSLR phase unless you already have one. To my mind CCD is so far ahead of DSLR that you can't compare them. Others don't agree. This just goes to show that astronomical photography is alive and kicking and an interesting place to be!!

Olly

Archived