NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC405 (Flaming Star Nebula) in Ha

swag72

This is a combination of two nights worth of data - Unfortunately had to clip a little off as I'd changed the camera orientation. Finally feel that this is a decent effort from the 460EX!!

Would welcome your thoughts on this, as I am still finding the 460EX a little different to process than the 314L+.

Details

M: HEQ5

T: Pentax 75SDHF

C: Atik 460EX mono with Baader 7nm filter

17x1200s with Bias frames used.

post-5681-0-33959700-1356346191_thumb.jp

Hi Sara thats a really deep image of the flaming star nebula, i'm a 314l+ user and have to say upon looking closer at your image the 460ex does appear to be a little noisy for the imaging time. do you think you may have over cooked it a notch or two when stretching?

Lovely image with a very strong sense of relief or three dimensionality.

If the nights had been perfect - no haze, no moon - then maybe I'd expect a tad less noise. But if there were some haze-affected or moonlit nights then I'd say par for the course and the F ratio. It might be worth trying 30 minute subs.

By selecting just the affected colour range (it works in greyscale in Ps) to pick out the noisy parts you could give the selected area a dose of despeckle, which works well in Ha. I'd be careful not to touch the bright stuff, though. That's perfect as is.

Olly

Thanks all for your comments.

@Martyn - I have found the 460EX to be noisier than the 314L+ in every single image I've tried with it so far. I think I just have to accept that fact and have a set of darks that I may have a go with next time.

@Olly - I am thinking about trying some longer subs as well as darks. I think I just have to get used to a lsightly different starting point than I was used to with the 314L+.

Archived