Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQMod Gamepad - which one do you use?

kirkster501

I don't suppose there's any chance of adding focusser control to EQMOD is there? Please?

I have written an application as part of the EQMOD Project that provides a gamepad interface for ASCOM focusers (and also filter wheels) - it is called ASCOMPAD.

ASCOMPAD also provides a mount interface but those already using EQASCOM would not use this as the gamepad interface within EQASCOM provides a richer set of functions.

ASCOMPAD can be run concurrently with EQASCOM and can share the same gamepad - just make sure any buttons you use are mutually exclusive between the two applications.

Video tutorial is here:

Chris

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I am quite happy to give a two speed approach a go. Greater than 75% deflection will move at the currently set rate. 25-75% deflection will move at the preset1 rate (which I sure most folks set ad their fine centering rate). I'll put a check in to make sure that the 25-75% rate is slower than the currently selected rate - and if not then it won't be applied.

Dual speed joystick control has now been included as an option on EQASCOM V1.27a (available via the EQMOD group) should anyone wish to give it a try.

A tick box on the gamepad setup screen activates this function and once activated the joystick operates with a slow and fast zone. Small deviations will set the mount moving at the speed defined by Preset 1 whilst full deflection of the stick will move at what ever your currently set rate/preset is. To prevent accidental fast slews when positioned on the edge of the "slow zone" there is a deadzone between the slow and fast zones where movement is stopped. There is also a deadzone around the centre position as you might expect. This functionality only applies for N,S,E,W

movements NE,NW,SE,SW movements always operate at your current rate and require full deflection of the joystick.

Chris.

Dual speed joystick control has now been included as an option on EQASCOM V1.27a (available via the EQMOD group) should anyone wish to give it a try.

A tick box on the gamepad setup screen activates this function and once activated the joystick operates with a slow and fast zone. Small deviations will set the mount moving at the speed defined by Preset 1 whilst full deflection of the stick will move at what ever your currently set rate/preset is. To prevent accidental fast slews when positioned on the edge of the "slow zone" there is a deadzone between the slow and fast zones where movement is stopped. There is also a deadzone around the centre position as you might expect. This functionality only applies for N,S,E,W

movements NE,NW,SE,SW movements always operate at your current rate and require full deflection of the joystick.

Chris.

If I ever get the chance to meet you I'll feel the need to hug you and give you a kiss. if you see a chubby guy running at you then take that as fair warning to run away.

• 1 month later...

So, whilst I don't particularly want to complicate matters by providing customisable zones/rates I am quite happy to give a two speed approach a go. Greater than 75% deflection will move at the currently set rate. 25-75% deflection will move at the preset1 rate (which I sure most folks set ad their fine centering rate). I'll put a check in to make sure that the 25-75% rate is slower than the currently selected rate - and if not then it won't be applied.

Chris,

Sorry for the belated response to this, but I literally haven't been able to test in the field until this weekend due to the weather! I have tried the new function and it works like a charm. The gamer in me can now use my finely honed virtual killing skills to get on target in a (to me) much more intuitive way.

Sincere thanks for taking the feedback on board.

I use a modded wireless Logitech Rumblepad 2.

The rumblepad has the ability to power down after inactivity but this drains the batteries alot (like in a month), so I modded it to place a slide switch poking out at the rear to allow me to power on/off manually. Now the batteirs are at least 6months old and it still works fine.

Chris,

Sorry for the belated response to this, but I literally haven't been able to test in the field until this weekend due to the weather! I have tried the new function and it works like a charm. The gamer in me can now use my finely honed virtual killing skills to get on target in a (to me) much more intuitive way.

Sincere thanks for taking the feedback on board.

Great - thanks for the feedback. Guess you'll be wanting a "hold your breath" button next. :grin:

Chris.

I use a modded wireless Logitech Rumblepad 2.

The rumblepad has the ability to power down after inactivity but this drains the batteries alot (like in a month), so I modded it to place a slide switch poking out at the rear to allow me to power on/off manually. Now the batteirs are at least 6months old and it still works fine.

Great idea. I think my only circumspection about the RumblePad II is that I never QUITE understand (read the documentation?) re. it's power saving (wakeup) strategy. Food for thought... :)

Great - thanks for the feedback. Guess you'll be wanting a "hold your breath" button next. :grin:

Yes please, would add to the Planetside 2 Infiltrator vibe I have going on these days.

• 3 months later...

Another Rumblepad 2 user here.

Something to watch is dew: the Rumblepad 2 doesn't like dew very much at all and can lead to issues like sticky or unrespensive buttons.

The good news is that it's easy to fix a dewed-up RP2. Carefully open it up (not difficult) and gently clean the contacts on the boards and membrane. You'll likely see a whitish deposit. Wipe it off and reassemble the controller. All done.

After that, try not to let it sit exposed to dew when outside.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

These treads are really useful!

I have just bought myself a Logitec Rumble pad wingman (wireless) connected up, everything fine...i then put the wingman down several mrts from the scope, walked away and the scope started slewing!!!!horror.. :eek:

How this could happen, i do not know but i have now initiated the game pad lock/unlock feature based upon Chris's post.

would this behaviour at all have it's roots in the game pad  being out of range of the wireless signal..(though this does not seem at all logical to me)

Ray

Yes, i suspect that's the case,i have never used a game pad for anything i suspect it was the point of view control!! I'm not used to it yet but it looks as though when the point of view control button is pressed the mount continues to slew until it is stopped by another button  (on mine at least) and so i assume that when i placed the game pad down i touched the point of view button.

Ray

Archived