SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M42 - The Orion Nebula - DSLR

Dave Smith

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what's the focal length and aperture of your scope + field flattener, Dave? Please :)

That is surprisingly a tricky question. The scope is marked 90mm aperture f6.9 FL621mm, but it seems that WO made a mistake and I believe it is 90mm aperture, FL 558 f6.2

It is the latter figures that I use in CCD calc and it seems ok, but I've never been bothered enough to try and measure it. It is the mark 1 model. The field flattener has no effect on the focal length.

Dave

Really nice shot there Dave, i too am thinking of getting a modded Canon as i can't bring myself to mod the 600D seems like it would be a wise choice me thinks.

Thanks Ewan. Why don't you want to have your 600D modded? If you go for filter replacement it can still be used for normal photography as long as you do a custom white balance.

Dave

Personally I would do narrowband on the atik and combine colour from the osc. Im trying to do horsehead using this approach but the clouds....

The focus does look a bit out may explain the softness.

Yes I've done that with the Horsehead and the Dumbell nebula using the colour from earlier DSLR images. It works well.

Dave

That is surprisingly a tricky question. The scope is marked 90mm aperture f6.9 FL621mm, but it seems that WO made a mistake and I believe it is 90mm aperture, FL 558 f6.2

It is the latter figures that I use in CCD calc and it seems ok, but I've never been bothered enough to try and measure it. It is the mark 1 model. The field flattener has no effect on the focal length.

Dave

Thanks Dave :) That sounds quite similar to my ED80 so I'll use that.

Archived