Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik 460EX or Starlight Xpress SXVR-694

misterp

I have used both Atik and SX cameras.

The fit and finish of the 4 series Atik cameras is superb. I can't see me going back to SX cameras if I am honest, not because I didn't have great results from the H9 camera I had, I just prefer my little Atik :)

Personally (as a long-time SX user) I've never had a problem with any of their kit. I think they are more open about the problems that have cropped up for individual users - what with their very active Yahoo group. So the few people who do have issues get noticed disproportionately to the majority of happy users.

I've always found Terry's (Platt) willingness to help to be a great benefit. Even when the answer you'd expect to some of the questions to be "RTFM" or "it's YOU, not the equipment", he still patiently explains and goes far beyond what it's reasonable to expect from product support, these days.

I have read very positive comments about Terry Platt and his willingness to help those SX users - Which is always good to know that there is help there if needed. So if you buy the SX he is willing to help which is reassuring.

Atik on the other hand - I've not read much on internet forums about this type of customer service - They don't seem to need it. Therefore, I'd personally rather buy a brand that gets positive comments about their cameras working, rather than a brand where their cameras do work, but it takes help from a very dedicated guy in the company.

I have 3 Atiks and I have contacted Atik a couple of times with queries (nothing wrong with the cameras) - They've been quick to answer my emails and informative as well. I suppose it is all about branding and I'm sure that once you buy into the brand (either SX or Atik) you are likely to remain with that company. I certainly won't be changing from Atik and likewise there are people who have SX's that won't change from them either!

It would be Atik for me all the way.

I use five Atiks and three SX cameras with attendant accessories. Problems to date stand at SX five, Atik one. The Atiks have been in service for up to five years, the SX between two years and a year.

Both firms are helpful but...

Olly

Atik ( Vince on here ) responds very quickly to enquires, he mended the shutter on my 383L+ despite the fact that I was the second owner and it was nearly 2 years old.. what I got back was a camera which to me looked new and worked flawlessly, I've read similar stories on here and other forums.

Artemis capture has got to be another good reason to use an Atik camera.

As for QHY I use a QHY5 camera for guiding, I think we can call it the industry standard, what puts me off trying the QHY8L (cheap) is the distributor, arrogant bull headed seller and the QHY camera's have had there fair share of issues also.. fogging,drivers,cooling etc..

I have no experience with the other alternatives.. so Atik is my 1st choice, I wish they had an M25/6C version. :D

Astrofest 2012 Atik were doing mouth watering deals, maybe its worth waiting for Astrofest 2013

so Atik is my 1st choice, I wish they had an M25/6C version. :D

Now that would be good. I like my QHY8 but wish its build quality were better, which by all accounts appears to be supplied as standard for Atik stuff.

• 5 months later...

I guess that this and other threads like it will run and run. New to imaging I bought a Lodestar to guide my DSLR and thought that i had problems with it on an OAG. I live in Spain but was returning to UK over a Bank Holiday weekend. Following a couple of e-mails Terry Platt said that he would work over the Bank Holiday to check my camera over and get it back to me in time for me going back to Spain. The problem was with my setting up but his dedication to customer service means that, now I am looking for an imaging camera, whilst I am not ignoring Atik, or their supporters, I am more seriously looking at Starlight Xpress, possibly the H814.

Archived