Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter GRS Help in Observing it.

lifeonmars

Hello everyone I am quite new to astronomy and have observed Jupiter over a couple of nights and struggled to see the gsb last night (5dec) as it transited the disc

I am using a Equinox 120 refractor on a HEQ5Pro I used a meade 20mm super wide with a 2x Astro engineering barlow (90X) ,and for high power a Celestron X Cell LX 5mm (180X) .I viewed the planet for a good 2 hrs up till about 11.30 pm.Only during brief moments of good seeing did i think I could probably see some disturbance in the cloud belt around where the gsb should be.

Am I using too much power,would I see a noticeable amount of more detail with a premium quality eyepiece Televue Radian etc.I suppose another factor must be my 55 year old eyes!Thanks for your help!

If I'm interpreting this correctly (I'm new too!) http://www.skyandtel...-159437655.html

Then the GRS wasn't visible when you were looking.

HTH

I was observing the GRS last night. I think it was due to pass through the centre of the plant at almost 11 pm exactly. Its visible about an hour either side of that as it approaches and leaves the centre. I find I dont get the GRS unless I'm near x200. I like getting to about x250-260 when the seeing allows. You must spend some time at the eyepiece, relax your eyes and 'train' yourself to look for it. One you get it, its easy thereafter. You must spend time observing as the atmospheric conditions change from moment to moment and once you have the best focus you can, the clarity will improve and disimprove as the seconds lapse. You're jsut waiting for that perfect moment to arrive.

Very satisfying.

Good luck.

Barry

Thanks for the above information,maybe I am being too impatient ,but I will persevere.I just wondering if I am pushing it a bit Magnification wise,and also if my high power highpiece is up to the job!

Yes I got my info from the sky at night magazine regarding the position of the GSB.I am also a glasses wearer but I dont observe with them on I find I get better results removing them and refocussing.Thanks

I found that x120-150 ideal for viewing the GRS .Jupiter is very bright at the moment, a Uhc filter has given the best results.

It helps to relax the eye and hold a hand to cover you non viewing eye, rather than squint.

Take time to gently focus and don't stare hard! Viewing results will be depend on seeing conditions, dry cold stable air is ideal,

Nick.

I'd go with x150. If the disk of Jupiter is too bright, you may often lose the ability to see subtle contrast differences, hence some people using a coloured or ND filter to dim the image a bit ( and improve contrast with a colour filter).

Chris

Lovely views of GRS tonight through the mak at x181 using a 22mm Nagler. It is currently over the neighbours house so the seeing isn't brilliant but every now and then it clears and views are stunning. There appears to be a big split in the SEB following on from GRS, not seen that before tonight.

Stu

It will be fairly insignificant in comparison to the images of jupiter you see. Expect to see a small feature and not very red! In smallish telescopes visually, great red spot could be a bit of an exaggeration!

andrew

Hi Andrew,

What focal length is your Orion 102 by the way?

Just wondered as my Bresser is 760mm and my views of jupiter are small even with the 9.7 mm and the 2x plossl. The two bands are distinctive but very white and black. Have yet to see the GRS, not enough distinction of the band to see anything in it.

Hi Andrew,

What focal length is your Orion 102 by the way?

Just wondered as my Bresser is 760mm and my views of jupiter are small even with the 9.7 mm and the 2x plossl. The two bands are distinctive but very white and black. Have yet to see the GRS, not enough distinction of the band to see anything in it.

It's F7 so just over 700mm - i've seen the GRS in the 102ed - with a 7mm eyepiece at 100x it's visible ok but more comfortable with a 6mm at 120x. Although as i have said - it hardly jumps out at you!

Thanks for the above information,maybe I am being too impatient ,but I will persevere.I just wondering if I am pushing it a bit Magnification wise,and also if my high power highpiece is up to the job!

Yes I got my info from the sky at night magazine regarding the position of the GSB.I am also a glasses wearer but I dont observe with them on I find I get better results removing them and refocussing.Thanks

Hello,

You have a good setup for Jupiter observation, at about 200x with that refractor you'll still get a decent contrast and good image scale at the eyepiece, if you use glasses, no problem in removing them if you have far or near-sight, the problem is only if you have astigmatism.

You could try and use a visual light blue filter, it really enhances all the redish features on Jupiter including the red spot :)

But be patient, planetary observation is a game of patience, the seeing fluctuates with time, even in a couple of minutes it can dramatically improve, but you'll have to train your eye for seeing fine detail, once you have got it, it will be easier and easier to see finer and finer detail on the planets, it's an art you know? :)

When you can, if you like planetary observation, I recomend getting a good quality binoviewer, they sell cheap these days, it doens't have to be a premium Denk or something like that, I have a WO set with a pair of cheap plossl's and the views are simply breathtaking, I simply never went back to mono observation, for the planets, moon, and double stars binoviewng is the way to go, it's a world of difference.

Best wishes,

Luís

Thanks for all that information Luis especially the blue filter avice,interesting comments about the binoviewers too.I think I am just going to get some time in at the eyepiece and take all the commments on board and like you say train my eye thanks to everybody for all these usefull comments thank you.

GRS has been good tonight with a pass from about 9-11pm. the mini red spot was also visible. I was using mostly 120-150x as mentioned above but just for fun at the end of the session I tried 600x. ok it was mushy but it half filled the field of my Nagler zoom! tracking manually was actually not as hard as expected,

Archived